This seminar is designed for human resource and payroll professionals, business owners and managers, accountants and attorneys.
Presented by experienced professionals, this highly informative and practical seminar will provide participants with a greater understanding of the purpose and requirements of the ADA, FMLA, the effect on wrongful discharge claims, and the new HIPAA regulations. The materials and presentations will provide practical approaches to the policies and procedures required under these statutes.
Topics to be discussed include:
• Basic Elements Of The ADA
• Recent Developments In The Law Regarding ADA
• Avoiding ADA Procedural Pitfalls
• Handling FMLA Requests
• Determining What Is A Serious Health Condition Under FMLA
• Learning How To Handle Abuse Of Attendance Under FMLA And ADA
• How To Avoid Wrongful Discharge Claims
• Background And Purpose Of HIPAA
• “Portability” Aspects Of HIPAA And The Impact On Health Insurance Plans
• “Administrative Simplification” Requirements Of HIPAA
• HIPAA Regulations Governing Privacy Of Health Information
• Compliance Dates For HIPAA Standards And Rules
8:30 a.m. - 10:20 a.m.
I. Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
A. Overview And Background Of The ADA
B. Prohibited Forms Of Discrimination
C. Lawful Pre-Employment Inquiries
D. Essential Functions Of The Job
E. Qualified Individual With Disability
F. Reasonable Accommodation
G. Undue Hardship
H. Light Duty
10:20 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
II. Family And Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
A. Most Common FMLA Violations
B. Coverage And Eligibility
C. Notice And Recordkeeping
D. Medical Certifications
E. Communications With Doctors
F. Return To Work Issues
G. Termination Of Employee While On FMLA Leave
H. Recommended Actions For Employers
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
III. Pitfalls In Discharging Employees In Kentucky
A. The Employment At-Will Doctrine
B. Exceptions To The Employment At-Will Doctrine
C. Damages Recoverable For Wrongful Discharge
D. Recent Jury Verdicts In Employment Cases
E. Intentional Infliction Of Emotional Distress Claims
2:30 p.m. - 2:40 p.m.
2:40 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
IV. Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act (HIPAA)
A. Group Health Plans And HIPAA
B. Creditable Coverage
C. Individual Health Plans And HIPAA
D. Right To Renew Coverage
E. Application Of HIPAA To Your Company
F. Hot Issues Involving HIPAA
G. HIPAA “Privacy Rule”