This seminar is designed for CPAs, attorneys, financial planners, consultants and financial advisors.
Qualified Retirement Plans And IRAs can be one of the very best assets to own and pass on to heirs or be a nightmare of taxes eating up what clients have worked hard to accumulate. This seminar will provide in-depth, timely insights and information about:
• Overview Of Various Types Of Plans
• Distribution Rules
• Selecting A Beneficiary
• Taxation Of Qualified Plans
• The Impact Of The New Tax Law On Retirement Planning
8:30 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
I. Overview Of Retirement Plans
A. Qualified Retirement Plans
9:15 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
II. Distributing Retirement Plan
Assets: The Distribution Rules
A. Overview Of The New Distribution Rules
B. Required Beginning Date (RBD)
C. Minimum Required Distributions (MRD)
D. Death Before Or After The Required Beginning Date
E. The Five-Year Distribution Rule
10:15 a.m. - 10:25 a.m.
10:25 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
III. Selecting The Designated
Beneficiary – Planning
A. The Spouse As Beneficiary
B. Other Individual Beneficiaries
C. Trusts As Beneficiaries
D. The Estate As Beneficiary
E. Charitable Beneficiaries
11:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
IV. Questions And Discussion
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
V. Advanced Planning For Retirement
Plan Assets: Navigating The
Distribution Rules (Continued)
B. Marital Matters
1. Advantages Of Leaving Benefits To The Surviving Spouse
2. Spousal Rollovers
3. The Spouse And 401(a)(9)
4. Marital Deduction For Benefits Payable To A QTIP Trust
5. Income Tax Disadvantages When A QTIP Trust Is Used
6. Simultaneous Death Clauses
C. Disclaimers Of Retirement Plan Assets
2. Disclaimers In Post- Mortem Planning
3. Planning In Anticipation Of Disclaimers
4. Disclaimers And The Plan Administrator
5. Surviving Spouse’s Ability To Disclaim
6. Are Disclaimers Effective To Change The “Designated Beneficiary”?
D. Distributions Before Age 59 1/2
1. Introduction To 72(t)
2. A Series Of Substantially Equal Payments
3. The Other Eleven Exceptions
2:30 p.m. - 2:40 p.m.
2:40 p.m. - 3:10 p.m.
VI. Roth IRAs And Planning
3:10 p.m. - 3:40 p.m.
VII. Estate Taxation Of Qualified
Plans And IRAs
A. Income In Respect Of A Decedent Issues
B. Income Tax Deduction For Estate Taxes Paid On IRA
3:40 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
VIII. Recent Legislation And
4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
IX. Questions And Discussion