This seminar is designed for social workers, counselors, psychotherapists, psychologists, social service employees, school professionals, healthcare providers, case managers, mental health professionals, and attorneys.
Mental health and disability law is one of the most rapidly changing and complex subjects in the public and private sector. As a social worker or other helping professional, you need to have a clear understanding of your rights and obligations as well as those of disabled individuals, government agencies and private service providers.
Topics to be discussed will include the following:
• State Confidentiality Issues
• Safe Clinical Documentation
• Mental Health And The Law
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
I. State Confidentiality Issues
A. Oregon Laws Relating To Confidentiality
1. Child And Elder Abuse Reporting Requirements
2. Subpoenas – How To Deal With Them
3. Drug And Alcohol Records
4. Request From Patients
5. Insurance Company Requests For Records
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
A. Privacy Of Protected Health Information
1. Who Must Comply With HIPAA?
2. What Information Is Protected By HIPAA?
3. When Can A Practitioner Use Or Disclose Protected Information?
4. How To Use Or Disclose Protected Information In Certain Circumstances
5. Where Do Patient Rights Fit In To HIPAA Compliance?
6. Why Comply?
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
III. Safe Clinical Documentation
A. Treatment Plans And Progress Notes
B. Brief Documentation Procedures For Risk Management
C. Documentation For Dangerous And High-Risk Patients
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
IV. Integrating The Legal Realm Into The Mental Health Professional’s
A. Mental And Legal Capacity Standards – Understanding The Lawyer’s Role In Assessing Capacity
B. Minimum Legal Standards To Perform Specific Legal Acts
C. Court Involvement In The Determination Of Legal Competency
1. Guardianship – Medical And Residential Decisions
2. Conservatorship – Financial Management
3. Civil Commitment
4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
V. Question And Answer