This seminar is designed for attorneys, planning and zoning officials, government and municipal administrators, project managers, developers, engineers, architects, contractors, subcontractors, natural resources and environmental representatives and paralegals.
This seminar is designed to assist attorneys, government and municipal administrators, city personnel and engineers understand the basics of water law. Our experienced and well-rounded faculty will address the following topics:
• Basic Regulatory Framework
• The NPDES Program
• Stormwater Permitting
• The TMDL Process
• Wetlands Regulation
• Ethical Considerations
• Public Water Supplies
• Municipal Wet Weather Initiatives
9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
I. Basic Regulatory Framework
A. Key Statutes And Their Programs
1. Federal Clean Water Act
2. Pennsylvania Clean Streams Law
3. Pennsylvania Dam Safety And Encroachment Act
4. Pennsylvania Water Resources Planning Act
5. Federal Safe Drinking Water Act
6. Pennsylvania Safe Drinking Water Act
B. Key Regulatory Agencies And Jurisdiction
1. United States Environmental Protection Agency
2. United States Army Corps Of Engineers
3. Pennsylvania Department Of Environmental Protection
4. County Conservation Districts
5. Municipal Publicly Operated Treatment Works
9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
II. The NPDES Program And Indirect Discharges
A. Basic Structure
B. Definition Of “Point Source”
C. Technology-Based Effluent Limitations
1. Best Professional Judgment
2. Effluent Limitations Guidelines
D. Water Quality-Based Effluent Limitations
E. The NPDES Permitting Process
F. Municipal Permitting
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
III. Stormwater Permitting And E&S Controls
A. Construction Activities
B. Municipal Activities
11:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
IV. The TMDL Process
A. Regulatory Framework
B. Point Source Controls
C. Non Point Source Controls
D. Water Credit Trading
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
V. SWANCC And Wetlands Regulation
1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
VI. Ethical Issues
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
VII. Public Water Supplies
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VIII. Municipal Wet Weather Initiatives