This seminar will enhance the knowledge of participants who have a basic familiarity with cafeteria plans. Attendees will learn about cutting-edge cafeteria plan topics, and HRAs, and will gain a better understanding of the complexities of cafeteria plan design and administration.
Topics covered include:
- Overview Of Section 125 Cafeteria Plans
- What Benefits May Be Offered And Which May Not
- IRS Rules For Cafeteria Plans
- Pros And Cons Of Electronic Claims
- Elections And Election Changes
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
- The New Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRAs)
- Impact Of COBRA, HIPAA, FMLA On Health Plans
8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
I. Overview Of Section 125 Plans/
Cafeteria Plan Basics
A. What Is A Section 125 Cafeteria Plan? What Is Not?
B. Advantages And Limitations Of Section 125 Cafeteria Plans
C. Sources Of Contributions
1. Salary Reduction
2. Employer Contributions
D. Eligible Sponsors
E. Eligible Participants And Nondiscrimination Rules
F. Eligible/Ineligible Expenses
G. Impact On Wages And Other Benefit Plans
9:30 a.m. - 10:10 a.m.
II. Implementation Procedures
A. Overview Of Plan Setup Steps
B. Plan Elements
C. Plan Implementation
D. Enrollment Of Participants – Employee Election Information To Payroll Company And TPA
10:10 a.m. - 10:20 a.m.
10:20 a.m. - 11:10 a.m.
A. Role Of TPA
B. Role Of Product Provider
C. Reimbursable Expenses
D. Claim Substantiation
E. Electronic Claims vs. Paper Claims
11:10 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
IV. Medical Benefits
A. Premium-Only Plans (POPs)
B. Self-Insured Medical Reimbursement Programs
1. Employer Funded
2. Funded By Section 501(c)(9) VEBA
C. Account Balance Approaches To Health Care Expenditures
1. Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
2. Medical Spending Accounts (MSAs)
3. Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRAs)
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 1:35 p.m.
V. Health Reimbursement Arrangements
A. IRS Guidance
B. Tax Advantages
C. HRA Conditions
D. Impact Of FSA
E. No Cash Out
F. HRA vs. MSA
G. Nondiscrimination Requirements Of Section 105
H. Funding HRAs
1:35 p.m. - 2:10 p.m.
VI. Non-Health Benefits
A. Available Under Cafeteria Plan
1. Dependent Care And Adoption Assistance
2. Group Term Life Insurance
3. Disability And Accident Benefits
4. The Story On 401(k) Arrangements
5. Vacation Days
B. Unavailable Through Cafeteria Plan
3. Long-Term Care Insurance
4. Qualified Transportation Expenses
5. Education Assistance
6. Moving Expenses
7. Fringe Benefits
2:10 p.m. - 2:20 p.m.
2:20 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
VII. Reporting And Legal Compliance
A. IRS Compliance
2. Election Change Rules
B. Annual Reporting: IRS And DOL
C. ERISA Status And Reporting
D. COBRA Continuation Coverage
E. Family And Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Issues
F. Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act (HIPAA) Issues
G. Recent Legal Changes Affecting Cafeteria Plans
3:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
VIII. Handling Cafeteria Plans In Mergers
IX. Plan Termination Considerations
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
X. Questions And Answers