This seminar is designed to help anyone involved with employees and payroll learn about: comprehension conformity with the Equal Pay Act, distinguishing the difference between an independent contractor and employee, compensation legal requirements, comprehension of salary plan development problems, and preparing for creating sound compensation levels for postings through established compensation systems, and more.
The faculty will address the following topics:
- Equality And Comparable Worth
- Wages And Salaries
- Independent Contractors And Employees
- Benefits Administration
- Developing A Compensation Plan
- Recordkeeping Issues
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
I. Equality And Comparable Worth
A. Title VII And The Equal Pay Act
B. 'Glass Ceiling' Issues
C. Vermont Fair Employment Practices Act
9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
II. Wages And Salaries
A. Legal Considerations For Exempt Employees
1. Which Employees Can Be Exempt?
2. Are There Any Restrictions On The Payment Of Salary Rather Than An Hourly Wage?
B. Legal Considerations For Non-Exempt Employees
1. How Should The Employer Calculate Overtime?
2. What Are 'Hours Worked'?
3. Does The Employer Need To Pay For On-Call Time?
4. Can The Employer Make Deductions From The Employee's Pay Check?
10:15 a.m. - 10:50 a.m.
III. Independent Contractors And Employees
A. What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages To Hiring 'Independent Contractors'?
B. What Is An Independent Contractor?
C. How Does An Employer Protect Itself From Mislabeled Employees?
10:50 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
IV. Benefits Administration
A. Reporting And Disclosure
1. What Type Of Reports Does The Employer Make To The Government?
2. What Information Does The Employer Have To Disclose To Employees?
3. Are There Any Notice Or Certification Requirements For The Employer?
B. Fiduciary Obligations
C. Claims Review And Appeals
12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:30 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.
V. Issues Related To Developing A Compensation Plan
A. Finding Accurate Salary Data
B. Salary Trends
C. Benefit Cost Trends
D. Managing Health Care Costs
E. Compensation Issues And Corporate Performance
2:50 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
VI. Recordkeeping Issues
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VII. Question And Answer