This is a fast-paced seminar for large and small business owners, human resources professionals, and employment attorneys which will try to unravel the extremely confusing personnel and wage and hour laws which apply to almost all employees in private industry in California. The seminar will have a heavy emphasis on wage and hour laws, but will provide practical advice on how to deal with questions that inevitably arise when dealing with employees - advice that will enhance employee morale while keeping employers out of trouble.
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
I. Wrongful Termination Issues
A. What Is It
1. At Will Employment
2. Public Policy Claims (Or ...If My Employees Are At Will, How Can They Sue Me?)
B. How To Avoid It
C. Progressive Discipline Why Bother?
10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
10:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
II. Personnel Policies And Procedures
A. Arbitration Policies Pros And Cons
1. Do I Want A Conservative Judge Who Charges Me $400.00/hr To Decide My Case?
B. Sex Harassment Policies
1. If I Don't Tolerate Sexual Harassment, How Can She/He Sue Me?
2. If A Claim Is Made: How To Conduct An Investigation
1. What Is It? How Can I Avoid Lawsuits?
D. Trade Secrets And Confidentiality Agreements
1. Do They Work? What Really Needs To Be Kept Confidential
E. Non-Compete Policies
1. I Thought They Were Illegal In California
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
III. Wage And Hour Laws
A. California And Federal Laws Never Never Land
B. How Can I Ever Figure Out How To Pay My Employees? Please Keep Me Out Of A Class Action!
C. Minimum Wage
1. Regular Rate Of Pay
2. Total Remuneration
E. Exemptions From Overtime
1. Salary Basis
2. Salary Requirement Labor Code 515
F. Commissions At Termination
1. He Who Shakes The Tree Is Entitled To The Fruit
G. Time-Keeping Policies
1. Meal Periods
2. Rest Periods
3. Reporting Time Pay
4. On Call
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
IV. Leave Policies And How They Fit Together What A Mess!
A. Family Medical Leave
B. Pregnancy Leave
C. Workers' Comp
D. Return To Work Issues
E. New Paid Family Leave Law
3:45 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
V. Alternative Dispute Resolution