Areas to be discussed include:
- Communicating complex medical issues to the average juror
- Anesthesia issues
- Injuries to the brain
- Addressing post-traumatic stress disorder and other psychological injuries
- The role of toxicology in legal cases
- Compliance with federal, state and local laws
9:00 a.m. - 9:05 a.m.
9:05 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
II. Communicating Complex
Medical Issues To The Average
A. Use Of Medical Experts
1. Standard Of Care/Liability Experts
2. Damages Experts
B. Medical Treatises
C. Effective Demonstrative Exhibits
D. Keeping An Eye On The 'Big Picture': The Story Of The Case
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
III. The Role Of Toxicology In Legal
A. Abused Drugs And Prescription Medications
B. What Do Tests In Biofluids Mean?
C. Alcohol And Drug Impairment – DUI, DUID
D. Alcohol And Drugs In Deaths – Cause, Complimentary, Incidental
E. Other Toxic Substances
11:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
12:45 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
IV. Anesthesia Issues
A. Hypoxic Injuries
B. Maintaining The Airway And Assessing Ventilation
C. Pulmonary Edema
D. Malignant Hyperthermia And Other Anesthesia Reactions
E. Primer On Vital Signs
1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
V. Injuries To The Brain
B. Objective vs. Subjective Evidence Of Brain Injury
C. Evaluating The Sequellae
VI. Addressing Post-Traumatic
Stress Disorder And Other
A. What Is PTSD?
B. Physical/Mental vs. Mental/Mental Injuries/Compensability
C. Using Objective Evidence To Support Your Claim Or Defense
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
VII. Compliance With Federal, State
And Local Laws
A. State Privacy Law
C. Other State And Local Law
D. The Peer Review Privilege
E. Licensing And Credentialing
F. Legislative And Case Law Update
1. Piselli: Statute Of Limitations For Minors
2. Navarro-Monzo: 'Good Cause' Exceptions To The Certificate Of Merit Requirement
3. Lai: Evidence Of Prior Malpractice Claims
4. Sterling: Defining The Physician-Patient Relationship
5. Mayer: Apportionment
6. Proposed Medical Malpractice Reform Legislation
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VIII. Questions And Answers