This one-day seminar is designed to enhance your working knowledge of the critical tax valuation, and estate planning issues affecting business owners. Discussions and workshops will explore planning techniques commonly used by practitioners today, and allow you to more confidently and effectively handle your clients' tax planning needs.
- News on income tax planning for business owners
- Estate and gift taxes - how to use the basics to save big money
- The basics of business valuation you should know
- How valuation techniques can save your business from the taxing authorities
- Taxing choices in forming a business, changing its form and passing it on
- How to get out of the business - retirement or sale
8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
I. Income Tax Matters
A. Recent Legislation
1. Small Business
B. Tax Planning Opportunities For The Business Owner
1. Tax Deductions
2. Year End Planning Considerations
9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
II. Business Formation: Thinking
A. Tax Considerations In Choice Of Entity
B. Other Considerations In Choice Of Entity
C. How To Change Or Shift From One Type
D. LLC Operating And Shareholder Agreements
10:30 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
10:40 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
III. Valuing The Small Business
A. Why Businesses Need To Be Valued
B. How Businesses Are Valued
11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
IV. Valuation Planning Opportunities
For Business Owners
A. Partial vs. Controlling Interests
B. Transfer Mechanisms
1. Direct Transfer
2. Family Limited Partnership Or Liability Company
3. Undivided Interests
C. Impact Of Form Of Entity On Valuation
D. Impact Of Shareholder Agreements On Valuation
1. For Estate And Gift
2. In The Event Of Marital Dissolution
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:15 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
V. Family Limited Partnerships And
Family Limited Liability
A. Valuation Of Transfers Of Interest
B. Importance Of Form And Substance
C. Importance Of Support For Valuation
1:45 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
(Break 2:45 p.m. - 2:55 p.m.)
VI. Estate And Gift Planning
A. Estate And Gift Basics
B. Basics Of A Plan
C. Succession In Planning
D. Family Entities – Limited Liability Company Or Family Limited Partnership
2. Special Agreement Considerations
3:30 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
VII. Exit Strategies
A. Factors In Choosing Exit Structure
1. Retirement Considerations
2. Character And Timing Of Income
3. Inside/Outside Basis Differences
4. Entity Tax Attributes
B. Common Structures And Key Related Issues
1. Stock Sale
2. Asset Sale
4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VIII. Questions And Answers