If you are an HR person who is in charge of their benefits, a company president, a benefit consultant, or any other person that needs to understand cafeteria plans enough to know why it makes sense to have one. If you are attempting to learn how a cafeteria plan interacts with the newly authorized HRA (health reimbursement accounts) you will gain from this seminar. This seminar will provide a comprehensive overview of cafeteria plan qualifying issues, enrollment, documents, administration, rules and regulations. You will also leave with a greater understanding of the purpose and requirements of the ADA, and the FMLA. The materials and presentations will provide practical approaches to the policies and procedures required under these statutes.
- What a cafeteria plan is and is not
- Different types of cafeteria plans
- Who can sponsor and who can participate
- When employees can change and can not change their elections
- Reporting and disclosure requirements
- HIPAA compliance for cafeteria plans
- How FSAs and HRAs can work together
- Learn who and what the FMLA really covers
- Who is qualified for ADA coverage
- The attendee will be able to discuss Section 125 plan design.
- The attendee will be able to identify specific qualified benefits.
- The attendee will be able to review ADA and FMLA.
8:30 a.m. - 11:40 a.m. (Break 10:00 a.m. - 10:10 a.m.)
II. Section 125 Plan Design
A. What Is A Cafeteria Plan?
B. Constructive Receipt
C. Deferral Of Compensation
D. Benefits That Can Be Offered
E. Permissible Employers
F. Advantages vs. Disadvantages To Employers
G. Permissible Employees
H. Advantages vs. Disadvantages To Employees
I. Formal Plan Document Requirements
III. Specific Qualified Benefits
A. Health FSA
B. Dependent Care Assistance
C. Health Savings Accounts
D. Who Is A Dependent
E. Funding And Forfeiture Issues
IV. Mid-Year Election Change Rules And Claims Procedures
A. When May Participant Elections Be Changed?
2. Standards For Election Changes
3. Other Permissible Reasons To Change Elections
4. Administrative Issues
B. Claims Procedures
2. Claims Rules For Health FSAs
V. HIPAA Privacy Compliance For Cafeteria Plans
A. HIPAA's Coverage Of Cafeteria Plans
B. What Is The 'Plan' For HIPAA Compliance Purposes?
C. HHS Guidance On Cafeteria Plans
VI. Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRA)
A. What Is An HRA?
B. Interaction With Medical Flexible Spending
11:40 a.m. - 12:40 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
12:40 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Break 2:40 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.)
VII. Family And Medical Leave Act
A. Covered Employers And Employees
B. Eligible Employees
D. Employee Duties
E. Employer Duties
VIII. Americans With Disabilities Act
B. Disability Definition
C. Permissible Inquires/Examinations
D. Reasonable Accommodation Duty
E. Undue Hardship Defense
F. Leave As An Accommodation
IX. Reconciling FMLA And ADA
A. Coverage Differences
B. Eligibility Differences
C. Duties Differences
D. Benefits Differences
E. Leave Entitlement Differences