Hiring is one of the dreaded duties of a manager. Many managers, even experienced ones, struggle with the selection process.
Hiring an employee is always a risk. You can never know the outcome of your decision until actual on-the-job performance occurs. However, you can increase your probability of hiring more qualified people by improving your hiring practices. The steps and techniques of this seminar will help you do just that. This seminar is designed to provide you with practical tools to increase your probability of hiring effective employees at all levels.
- Be flexible to meet your needs
- Provide you with a consistent hiring process
- Help your organization meet legal guidelines for fair employment practices
- Save you time and money by hiring the right person the first time
- Reduce turnover, enhance productivity and generate higher employee morale
You will receive practical solutions to hiring problems. Your hiring questions will gladly be answered throughout the seminar.
8:30 a.m. - 9:50 a.m.
I. Selection Overview
A. Expectations And Overview
B. Taking A Trip To Las Vegas
C. Costs Of Poor Selection
D. Favorite Interview Questions
E. Legal Implications
1. What Is Illegal Selection
2. Going Beyond What You 'Can't Do'
9:50 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
10:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
II. The Employee Selection Process
A. The Five Steps To Good Hiring
B. Using Interview Guides
C. Knowing What To Look For
1. Defining The Job
2. Defining Requirements
D. Using The Selection Grid To Guide The Process
E. Recruitment Techniques In The Electronic Age
F. Initial Screening
1. Reading A Resume
2. Applying The Grid
G. Interview Preparation
1. Seven Types Of Questions To Ask
2. Reviewing Your Favorites
3. PDQs – What Are They And Why Are They Important?
11:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
12:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
II. The Employee Selection Process (Continued)
G. Interview Preparation (Continued)
4. Choosing PDQs For Your Situation
5. What To Tell Candidates About Your Organization
6. Evaluating Candidate Responses
7. Practice Constructing Appropriate Follow-Up Questions
8. Non-Verbal Communication
2:00 p.m. - 2:10 p.m.
2:10 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
III. Conducting Interviews
A. Benefits Of Structure
B. The Setting
C. Six Phases Of The Interview
D. Setting The Agenda And Developing Rapport
E. Developing Formats For Your Organization
F. Practicing The Critical Phases
G. Making Effective Hiring Decisions
1. Incorporating Important Information
2. Avoiding The Most-Often-Made Mistake
3:45 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
IV. Course Wrap-Up And Questions And Evaluation