Human resource compliance issues tops the list of challenges to businesses in Tennessee.
To avoid the loss of time, adverse publicity, legal fees and costly verdicts, managers and personnel professionals need to be aware of the latest developments and the strategies for avoiding liability.
- Interview questions that won't get you in trouble
- Making sense of the DOL's new white collar exemption
- The proper way to compute overtime and save money
- FMLA: allowing leave without pain
- Sexual harrassment: an ounce of prevention or a pound of flesh
- Why covenants not to compete are worth their weight in gold
- The attendee will be able to discuss employment FMLA requirements
- The attendee will be able to identify issues with wage and hour law.
- The attendee will be able to review harassment in employment.
8:30 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
I. Employment Selection And Hiring
A. Employment At-Will
B. Job Interviews/Permissible Questions
C. Personnel Files
9:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
II. Wage And Hour Law (Part I)
A. For What Do Employees Have To Be Paid
B. The FairPay Act's New White Collar Exemptions
10:30 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
10:40 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
III. FMLA: Notice Requirements And The Effect Of Ragsdale v. Wolverine World Wide, Inc.
A. FMLA Notice Requirements
B. Ragsdale v. Wolverine World Wide, Inc.
C. Effect Of Ragsdale
11:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
12:45 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
IV. Employment Odds And Ends
A. Worker Adjustment And Retraining Notification Act ('WARN')
B. Drug Testing
C. Retaliatory Discharge
D. Miscellaneous Tennessee Employment Laws
E. Leased And Temporary Employees
1:30 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
V. Unlawful Harassment
A. What Is Unlawful Harassment
B. Supervisor v. Co-Worker Harassment
C. How To Investigate Claims Of Harassment
D. Appropriate Remedial Action
2:15 p.m. - 2:25 p.m.
2:25 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
VI. Wage And Hour Law (Part II)
A. Computing Overtime For Non-Exempt Employees
B. Compensatory Overtime
C. Hours Worked
3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
VII. Employment Agreements – Protecting Your Best Asset: The Customer
A. Restrictive Covenants
B. Tort Theories Of Recovery
4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VIII. Questions And Answers