Protecting assets is important to anyone in the retail or restaurant industry. However, acting unwisely or inappropriately could result in civil liability. Even well intended motives, implemented improperly, or inadequate preventative or investigative techniques can be costly. This seminar is designed to provide a working knowledge for managers in the retail and restaurant industry, as well as their insurers, of how losses may be avoided or minimized without creating exposure to civil liability.
- Learn to avoid the most common mistakes made while investigating and/or detaining suspected shoplifters
- Learn the keys to avoiding exposure to civil lawsuits like false imprisonment and personal injury
- Learn effective techniques for investigating incidents that could lead civil lawsuits
- The attendee will be able to discuss stopping and detaining.
- The attendee will be able to identify steps to preventing patron accidents.
- The attendee will be able to review investigations of patron accidents.
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
I. Stopping And Detaining
A. Indiana Shoplifting Detention Act
B. What Needed To Make Valid Stop/Detention
C. What Allowed To Do During A Stop/Detention – Use Of Force
D. What Allowed To Say During A Stop/Detention
E. Where Allowed To Go During A Stop/Detention
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
II. Potential Repercussions For Stop/Detention
A. Exposure To Criminal Charges
B. Exposure To Civil Lawsuit
C. Keys To Avoiding Exposure
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
III. Preventing The Patron Accident
A. Develop Training Program And Orientation For Employees Concerning Expected Reaction To Conditions That Could Potentially Harm Patrons
1. Employee Safety Manuals
2. Examples Of How To Be Handled Within Manual
3. Pros And Cons Of Set Inspection Schedules
4. Form Reports
B. Implement Program
1. Enforcement Among Employees
2. Continue To Target Improvement
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
IV. Investigating Patron Accidents
A. Form Reports
B. Written Statements
D. Video Surveillance