Attendees will gather an understanding of issues and advances in legal investigations from experts in the field. The seminar will address legal investigations from both plaintiff and defense perspectives. The rapidly increasing need for computer expertise in investigations will be discussed. Two attorneys will provide insight into the positives and potential negatives of their experiences with legal investigators in a variety of applications.
- Learn evolving issues in 21st century legal investigations
- The old paper trail is now a 'digital trail'
- Learn how investigators can be a resource to defense attorneys
- Are the documents submitted legitimate?
- Pros and cons of using investigator's testimony during trials
- The interview - a foundation of most investigations
- The attendee will be able to discuss document examination.
- The attendee will be able to identify interviewing techniques.
- The attendee will be able to review computer forensics.
9:00 a.m. - 9:05 a.m.
I. Overview Of Seminar
9:05 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
II. Document Examination
A. Principals Of Handwriting And Handwriting Identification
1. Factors That Affect Handwriting
2. Normal Course Of Business Writing Samples vs. Requested Writing Samples
3. The Proper Procedures For Securing Samples
10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
III. Computer Forensics
A. 'The Digital Trail'
B. Document And Preserve Evidence From Digital Media
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
IV. Interviewing Techniques
A. Identifying Deceit During Interviews
1. Body Language
2. Key Words
1:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
2:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
V. Investigators On Trial
A. Strengths And Weaknesses Of Utilizing Testimony Of Investigators
3:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VI. Investigators As A Resource
A. Investigators As A Tool In Litigation Support
B. Using Investigators To Strengthen Your Case