The seminar provides an overview of New Jersey law and will educate attendees on appropriate and effective practices for licensed health care practitioners and institutional providers regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and eliminate confusion on the use and disclosure of patient medical records. Participants will learn and understand New Jersey law requirements for handling, storing, disposing of, producing and responding to requests for patient medical records, including a detailed discussion and analysis regarding the law in connection with litigation (i.e., Subpoenas, Requests for Production, etc.) in civil, administrative and criminal cases. The seminar will also provide an update on HIPAA Privacy Regulations and a detailed analysis of the HIPAA Security Rules.
- Maintaining patient information
- New information regarding the HIPAA Privacy Rules
- Ethical considerations for protecting patients' privacy
- Steps to complying with the HIPAA Security Rules
- Special issues related to medical records
- The attendee will be able to restate the rules regarding the proper release of medical records.
- The attendee will be able to identify what constitutes a medical record.
- The attendee will be able to respond appropriately to subpoenas for medical information.
- The attendee will be able to ensure compliance with the HIPAA Privacy Rules
- The attendee will be able to recite the key elements of the HIPAA Security Rules necessary to achieve compliance.
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
I. Overview: Maintaining Patient Information
A. The Medical Record: Ownership And Retention
B. Non-HIPAA Requirements Regarding The Release Of Medical Records
C. Patients' Right To Confidentiality
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
II. HIPAA Privacy Rules and Related Ethical Considerations
A. Updates On The Requirements Regarding The Privacy Rules
B. Avoiding Common Privacy Pitfalls
C. Ethical Considerations Related To The Privacy Of Health Information
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
III. The HIPAA Security Rules
A. Implementation Of The Security Rule Standards
B. Structuring A Workable Timeline In Order To Ensure Compliance
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 4:10 p.m.
IV. Special Issues
A. Handling Subpoenas
B. HIV/AIDS, Alcohol And Drug Abuse Treatment Records And Genetic Testing Information
C. Minors And Incompetent Patients
D. Corporate Compliance And Medical Record Issues
4:10 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
V. Questions And Answers