The complex system of rules pertaining to local agency procurement and public works construction projects are always changing. This interactive and informative seminar will survey local agency procurement regulations and will highlight changes in the laws for public works projects. Seasoned faculty members, experienced in all aspects of public works projects and competitive bidding, will present a detailed course on relevant facets of procurement, competitive bidding and dispute resolution. This seminar will provide you with the tools you need to face the changing landscape of local agency procurement and public works construction in California.
- Learn the basics of local government procurement
- Understand the complexities of bidding for public works projects
- Navigate through pre-qualification rules
- Hear practical tips about handling claims
- Alternative dispute resolution or litigation?
- The attendee will be able to identify contract requirements.
- The attendee will be able to discuss claims, conflicts and close-outs.
- The attendee will be able to review public works contract requirements.
9:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
I. Overview Of The Course
9:15 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
II. Introduction To Procurement
A. Overview For Local Government Procurement Procedures
1. Survey Of Basic Procedures
2. The Law Pertaining To Procurement Of Materials, Supplies And Services
B. The Alphabet Soup Of RFQs, RFPs
9:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
(Break 10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.)
III. Public Works And Competitive
A. Statutory Framework And Law Regarding Competitive Bidding
1. State Entities
2. County And Municipal Entities
3. Special Districts And Alternative Procedures
4. Overview Of Competitive Bidding Law
a. Legal Consequences Of Not Complying With Law
b. New Legislation Pertaining To Competitive Bidding
B. Competitive Bidding Requirements And Exceptions
1. Steps For Competitive Bidding
a. Notice Requirements
b. Timely Submittals Of Bids
c. Acceptance Of Bids
d. Rejection Of Bids
e. Bonding Requirements
2. Exceptions To Competitive Bidding
a. Design-Build Projects
b. Professional Services
c. Emergency Projects
d. Exempt Agencies
3. Interactive Exercise No. 1
C. Award Of Bids
1. Determining Responsive Bids
2. Determining Responsible Bidders And Prequalification
3. Rules Relating To Subcontractors
4. Withdrawal Of Bids
5. Challenging Other Bids
6. Interactive Exercise No. 2
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
IV. Public Works Contract
A. Prevailing Wages
B. Insurance Requirements
C. Indemnity Issues
D. Form Contracts
E. Imperfect Specifications
F. Allocating Site Conditions Risks
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
V. Claims, Conflicts, Close-Out
A. Retention And Prompt Payment Rules
B. Stop Notices
C. Default And Termination Issues
D. Liquidated Damages And Early Completion Bonuses
E. Delay And Disruption Issues
F. How To Handle Claims
1. Contractual Requirements
2. Claims Under $375,000 (Public Contract Code Section 20104, et. seq.)
3. Government Code Claims Requirements
4. Practical Considerations
G. Alternative Dispute Resolution And Litigation
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VI. Wrap-Up, Evaluations And
Questions And Answers