If you are considering purchasing or selling a business or if you represent those who buy or sell businesses, this seminar will provide a basic understanding of the process with emphasis on the crucial steps in preparing your business for sale and how to buy a good business at a great price.
Topics to be discussed include:
- The 12 key stages in buying a business
- Tax implications
- The 10 ways to increase the value of your business
- The 12 rules for selling your business
8:30 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.
A. Brief Bios Of The Four Speakers And Their Topics
B. What This Seminar Is Not
1. Not About How To Start A New Business
2. Not About How To Buy A Franchise Or Start A Multi Leveling Marketing Project
3. Not A High Level Tutorial That Would Require A Law Degree To Understand
C. What This Seminar Is
1. How To Buy And Sell A Small Business
a. How To Buy A Good Business
b. How To Finance The Purchase
c. How To Sell Your Business
d. How To Increase The Value Of Your Business
e. Approaches To Valuation
2. Some Tax Implications Of The Sale And Purchase
a. Choices Of Entities
b. Allocation Of The Purchase Price
c. Tax Consequences When Selling
3. What To Do With Your Money When You Successfully Sell Your Business
8:50 a.m. - 9:25 a.m.
II. How To Buy A Good Business At A Great Price
A. The 12 Key Stages In Buying A Business
1. Educate Yourself
2. Determining What Business Is Right For You
3. Starting Off Right
4. Find A Business Broker
5. The Search
6. Visiting Businesses
7. Gathering Information
8. Valuing A Business
9. Negotiating And Making An Offer
10. Purchase Agreements
11. Due Diligence
12. The Last Stage; Pulling The Trigger And Closing The Deal
9:25 a.m. - 10:25 a.m.
III. Tax Implications Of Buying And Selling A
A. Choice Of Business Entity
1. Sole Proprietorship
a. 'S' Corporation
b. 'C' Corporation
c. Limited Liability
4. Limited Liability Corporation
a. Single Member
b. Multiple Member
B. Allocation Of Purchase Price
1. Tangible Assets
2. Intangible Assets, Intellectual Property, And Employment Contracts
C. Tax Consequences And Implications Of Selling Your Business
1. Ordinary Income versus Capital Gains
2. Installment Sales
3. Double Taxation Of Corporations
4. Tax Free Re-Organizations
5. Bulk Sale Requirements To Avoid State Sales Tax
10:25 a.m. - 10:35 a.m.
10:35 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
IV. Ten Ways To Increase The Value Of Your Business
A. Keep Good Books And Records
B. Grow Earnings Before You Sell
C. Separate Fringe Benefits From Real Expenses
D. Have Proper Management And Staff In Place
E. Have The Capacity To Grow And Make Capital Expenses
F. Keep Good Books And Records (Reprise)
G. Increase The Bottom Line
H. Keep Everything In Good Repair
I. Control, Manage, And Document Inventory
J. Keep Good Books And Records
11:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
V. Approaches To Valuation
A. The Market Approach
2. 'Rules Of Thumb'
B. Income Approach
1. Present Value Of Future Cash Flows
2. Future Projections And Growth Rates
C. Asset Approach
1. Book Value
2. Asset Accumulation
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
VI. Twelve Rules For Selling Your Business
A. Maintain Confidentiality
B. Continue To Run Your Business
C. Use Proper Negotiating Techniques
D. Secure Qualified Buyers
E. Move The Deal Along
F. Place The Proper Value On Your Business
G. Structure The Deal Properly
H. Prepare For Due Diligence
I. Market The Sale
J. Seek The Right Professional Assistance And Consultation
K. Properly Package Your Business
L. Control The Deal
2:00 p.m. - 2:20 p.m.
VII. Financing The Business Purchase
A. SBA Loans
B. Seller Financing
D. Conventional Banking
2:20 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.
VIII. Negotiating Skills
2:50 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
IX. How To Protect Your Nest Egg After The Sale
A. How To Design And Implement An Investment Policy For The Sale Proceeds
B. How To Protect Your Assets From Creditors
C. How To Determine Your Income Needs For Life
D. Legacy Planning
E. How To Interview And Qualify An Investment Advisor And Financial Planner
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
X. Conclusion And Questions