This one-day seminar provides important and valuable information and strategies that can help the attendee solve water intrusion and mold problems in homes and commercial buildings. The seminar will present a comprehensive approach to successfully solving failed building envelope systems by experienced professionals in architecture, industrial hygiene, construction defect law, and construction repair.
- How to avoid and/or minimize your liability for mold claims
- What are the courts saying about mold claims
- Understand why some building types are prone to moisture and mold problems
- Understand the value that a detailed checklist can provide in preventing future moisture and mold problems in new buildings
- Understand why 90%+ of all mold remediation projects go over budget and why many have a re-occurrence of mold problems
- Identify the tools and techniques necessary to defend and prosecute moisture and mold claims - what often goes wrong and how to avoid these mistakes
- Identify the most common mistakes made during moisture and mold diagnosis and how to avoid these mistakes in order to successfully remediate and litigate these problems
- Handling a mold infestation scenario
- The attendee will be able to diagnose and investigate water induced problems in residential structures.
- The attendee will be able to discuss regulatory initiatives regarding mold claims.
- The attendee will be able to identify proactive measures to reducing mold claims.
9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (Break 10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.)
I. Understanding The Causes Of Moisture And Mold Problems
A. What You Need to Know About Building Envelopes And HVAC Systems That Cause Almost All Moisture And Mold Problems
B. Proven Techniques To Successfully Avoid Moisture Problems That Have Been Used Over The Past 15 Years And In $2+ Billion In Construction
C. Predicting Moisture And Mold Problems Before The Building Is Built Techniques That Walt Disney World Has Implemented
D. Handling Moisture Problems During Construction What The Smartest Contractor's Already Do
II. Diagnosing Moisture Problems In Order To Implement The Correct Repair
A. Understanding The Tools That Can Effectively Analyze The Causes Of Moisture Problems What Are The Limitations Of These Tools?
B. Techniques That Can Differentiate Between Rainwater, Vapor, And Air Related Moisture Problems, Or
'How To Fix The Right Problem The First Time'
C. How To Tell A $1,000 Problem From A $100,000 Problem And How To Prevent A $1,000 Problem From Becoming A $100,000 Problem
D. How To Tell A Design Problem From A Construction Problem
III. Effectively Prosecuting And Defending Mold Claims
A. Effective Ways To Identify And Prove The Causes Of Moisture And Mold Problems
B. Profile Of A Typical Construction Defect Claim
C. Profile Of A Typical Design Defect Claim
D. Why 'We Constructed It The Way It Was Designed' Is Not An Effective Defense For A Contractor
E. Standard Litigation Arguments What Are They And Why Most Of Them Don't Work
F. Effective Ways For Contractor To Reduce The Risk Of Encountering Significant Moisture And Mold Problems
G. The Use (And Abuse) Of Sampling In Diagnosis And Litigating Moisture And Mold Cases
H. Common Mistakes In Litigating Moisture And Mol Problems
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
12:30 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
IV. The Present State Of Mold Litigation
A. Top Ten Reasons To Take Mold Claims Seriously
B. Who Is Being Sued And What Claims Are Being Made
C. Mold Legislation
1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
V. Handling A Mold Infestation Scenario
A. Handling A Pervasive Problem
B. Planning And Remediation
C. Identifying And Notifying All Potentially Responsible Parties
D. Prosecuting Claims For Cost Recovery
E. Evaluate And Select Viable Claims To Maximize Recovery
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
VI. Insurance Coverage For Mold Claims
A. Four Principal Types Of Policies Provide Coverage
B. Types Of Claims/Damages Covered
C. Current versus Prior Policies
D. Trigger Of Coverage And Notice Issues
E. Environmental Insurance
3:45 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VII. Panel Discussion