This program will present a review of current research regarding the diagnosis and multimodality treatment of children with autism spectrum disorder, including Asperger syndrome. The program will provide attendees with practical assessment tools and intervention strategies to use in the home, school, and community.
- The attendee will be able to identify the symptoms and diagnostic criteria for autism and Asperger Syndrome.
- The attendee will be able to understand current research regarding Asperger Syndrome and its relationship to autism.
- The attendee will be able to learn about research findings for specific interventions.
- The attendee will be able to explore functional behavior intervention techniques for use in the home, school and community.
- The attendee will be able to discuss the process of integrating children with autism or Asperger Syndrome into a regular class setting.
- The attendee will be able to discuss educational intervention techniques.
- The attendee will be able to identify factors that increase success in managing autism and Asperger Syndrome.
- The attendee will be able to review behavior plans that work.
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
I. Autism Spectrum Disorder: Overview
10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
II. Asperger Syndrome
A. Historical Overview
B. Current Research
C. Educational Intervention
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
III. Comprehensive Assessment Of Autism Spectrum Disorders
A. Paper Diagnosis versus Functional Reality
B. Environmental Assessment
C. The Importance Of Social Competence
D. Clinical Checklists
2. Community Observations
IV. Managing The Educational Environment
A. Pitfalls And Panics
B. Factors That Increase Success
12:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m.
V. Panel/Questions And Answers
12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
VI. Autism Intervention: Research Findings
B. Applied Behavior Analysis
C. Other Treatments
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
VII. Behavior Assessment And Intervention
A. Understanding The Thoughts Behind The Behavior
B. Developing Behavior Plans That Work
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VIII. Panel/Questions And Answers