By attending this lively one-day program you will come away with tips for effectively writing a performance appraisal. You will find out what pitfalls to avoid when writing a performance appraisal and conducting a performance evaluation. Attendees will learn what to do to prepare for the performance evaluation. They will also be able to distinguish between effective and faulty performance feedback and receive practical strategies for conducting the evaluation meeting.
- Effectively communicating performance and conduct issues to your employees.
- Tactfully delivering less-than-positive feedback.
- Creating bias-free documents that support your appraisal of the strengths and weaknesses of your employees.
- Practicing writing effective performance appraisals based on the employee's job description.
- The attendee will be able to recognize the difference between objective performance appraisals and personal bias.
- The attendee will be able to provide performance-related criticism that results in positive change.
- The attendee will be able to document performance and conduct issues professionally and lawfully.
9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
A. Purpose And Objectives
B. What Employees Expect
C. Choosing Your Words Carefully
9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
II. Preparing For The Performance Evaluation
A. Scheduling The Interview
B. Proper Documentation
C. Plan Of Action
D. Preparing A Draft Written Appraisal
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 11:15 p.m.
III. Criteria For The Written Appraisal
A. Performance-Related Criteria
B. Non-Performance-Related Criteria
11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
IV. General Tips For Writing Performance Appraisals
A. What To Do
B. What Not To Do
C. Choosing Appropriate Descriptive Words
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:15 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
V. Effective vs. Faulty Feedback
A. Behavior-Based vs. Trait-Based
B. Specific vs. General
C. Objective vs. Subjective
D. Fact-Oriented vs. Emotionally Charged
E. Constructive vs. Accusatory
F. Clear vs. Vague
1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
VI. Writing An Effective Performance Appraisal
A. Recognizing What's Wrong With Sample Appraisals
B. Writing Sample Appraisals
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 400 p.m.
VII. Conducting The Interview
A. Reviewing The Appraisal With The Employee
B. Giving The Employee An Opportunity To Respond
C. Designing A Plan For Corrective Action
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
A. Avoiding Common Pitfalls
B. Questions And Answers