Participants will come to understand the idealistic vision of collaboration in special education as set forth under federal law. They will deepen their understanding of the challenges presented to parents and school professionals as they work together on behalf of children with special needs. They will also understand the various options available when discord arises, and what can be done to prevent the escalation of dissatisfactions into costly legal proceedings and weakened parent-school teams. The 12 common seeds of discord along with the recommendations of hundreds of school professionals are presented as handouts, along with 25 specific intervention approaches for preventing and resolving conflict. Through a dynamic series of interactive and experiential exercises, participants will increase their depth of understanding, expand their toolbox of response options, and gain new confidence for turning conflict into cooperation.
- Recognize and address the 12 standard parent complaints
- Understand the ideal IEP member, team, and meeting
- Achieve consensus-based decisions through principled negotiation
- Handle the 'show stoppers' that threaten successful IEP meetings
- Apply the triad of conflict resolution
- Learn 25 specific techniques for conflict prevention and resolution
- The attendee will be able to manage IEP meetings more smoothly and effectively.
- The attendee will be able to develop skills in a wide variety of conflict prevention techniques.
- The attendee will be able to strengthen their ability to achieve consensus-based decision making.
- The attendee will be able to work with greater confidence, harmony and efficiency for the benefit of children.
8:30 a.m. - 9:25 a.m.
A. Challenging IEP Team Scenarios
B. Conflict – Indicators And Signs And Statistics
C. Parent Concerns And Solutions
9:25 a.m. - 9:35 a.m.
9:35 p.m. - 10:00 a.m.
II. Effective Meeting Management
A. Characteristics Of Great Team Members
B. Characteristics Of Great Team Meetings
10:00 a.m. - 10:25 a.m.
III. Stage Setting: Introductions, Agendas And Ground Rules
10:25 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
IV. Building Consensus Through Principled Negotiation
A. Principled Negotiation
B. Exercises In Getting To Win-Win
11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
V. Udder Blunders: Communication Pitfalls And Alternatives
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 1:20 p.m.
VI. Timelines, Emotions And Behavior Trains
1:20 p.m. - 1:55 p.m.
VII. The Triad Of Conflict Resolution
A. Serenity: Awareness And Exercises
1:55 p.m. - 2:05 p.m.
2:05 p.m. - 3:25 p.m.
VII. The Triad Of Conflict Resolution (Continued)
B. Wisdom: Decision-Making Techniques
C. Courage: 25 Intervention Options
3:25 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
3:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
VIII. Review And Reassessment
IX. Follow-Up Activities And Action Plans