This course will provide you with the knowledge and practical insight necessary to understand business and legal issues associated with managing and working on construction management and design-build construction contracts. The experienced faculty will examine practical issues to consider in developing the contracts and explore specific issues to be taken into consideration with performing construction management and design-build contracts.
- Differences in project delivery systems
- Why hire a construction manager
- Recent legislation on construction management
- Single point of responsibility with design-build
- Statutory requirements for public construction
- The attendee will be able to interpret the design-build delivery system.
- The attendee will be able to discuss design-build advantages and disadvantages.
- The attendee will be able to demonstrate an understanding of legal considerations from construction management.
9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
I. Overview Of Seminar
9:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
II. Project Delivery Systems
A. Traditional Design/Bid/Build
B. Multiple Prime
C. Construction Management
9:45 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
III. Successful Construction Management
A. The Goals And Process Of Construction Management
B. Maximizing The Benefits Of Construction Management
C. Why Hire A Construction Manager?
10:45 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
IV. Legal Considerations For Construction Management
A. Recent Legislation On Construction Management On Public Projects
B. The Use Of Guaranteed Maximum Price Contracting
C. Other Project Delivery Systems On Public Projects
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
V. Design-Build: Advantages And Disadvantages
A. Single Point Of Responsibility
B. Improved Coordination
C. Schedule And Cost Reduction
D. Risk Re-Alignment
2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
VI. Design-Build Projects From Owner's Perspective
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
VII. Statutory Requirements For Public Construction And Their Effect On Claims
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VIII. Open Questions And Answers