This informative one-day seminar will provide participants with a greater understanding of the duties and liabilities involved with being a director or officer at an Ontario company. Information on how to avoid liability by compliance with applicable laws will be presented by an experienced lawyer.
- What are fiduciary duties? How do they apply within my organization?
- What are the current accounting rules? What steps may our company take to ensure good governance?
- What due diligence steps should my company take before bankruptcy?
- What are the new workplace Criminal Code provisions which apply to my company?
- Information on environmental damage, vicarious liability in a civil claim, privacy law and more
- The attendee will be able to identify fiduciary duties of directors and officers.
- The attendee will be able to discuss the liability of corporate directors and officers.
- The attendee will be able to review new workplace criminal code provisions.
9:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
9:15 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
II. Fiduciary Duties
A. What Are Fiduciary Duties And To Whom Do They Apply?
B. What Obligations Does A Fiduciary Have And How Are They Discharged?
C. How Are Fiduciary Duties Enforced?
D. When Do Fiduciary Duties Expire?
E. What Liabilities Apply To Fiduciaries?
10:45 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
III. Director/Officer Liability Corporate
A. What Liabilities Are Imposed By The Business Corporation Act?
B. What Are The Current Accounting Rules And Standards And What Measures Are Needed To Ensure Good Governance?
C. What Due Diligence Steps Should Be Taken Prior To A Bankruptcy?
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
IV. Director/Officer Liability Employment
A. When Can An Officer Or Director Be Liable For Payroll Liabilities?
B. How Can An Officer Or Director Be Prosecuted Under Health And Safety Legislation?
C. What Are The New Workplace Criminal Code Provisions That Apply To The Directors And Officers?
D. What Other Employment Statutes Impose Obligations On Directors And Officers?
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
V. Director/Officer Liability Special Topics
A. When Is An Officer Or Director Responsible For Environmental Damage?
B. What Are The Limits Of Vicarious Liability For A Civil Claim?
C. What New Obligations Apply Under Privacy Law?
D. Other Statutory Directors' Liabilities That You Need To Know About
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VI. Question And Answer Period