Attendees of this course will participate in an interactive, day-long workshop on employment handbooks and policies - from A to Z.
Attendees are encouraged to bring their own company handbooks for hands-on learning and evaluation of handbook do's and don'ts. Attendees will learn about laws that impact handbooks, practical tips for handbook organization and development, how to distribute and manage handbook changes, a laundry list of policies and information that may be included in handbooks and how to address different categories of employees.
Most importantly, attendees will review and evaluate their own handbooks during the workshop and leave with an action plan for handbook improvement. Attendees who do not have a company handbook can participate using provided materials and will leave with an action plan to develop a handbook from scratch. Don't miss this unique and valuable workshop on employment handbooks.
- Interactive discussion and review of attendees' company policies
- Laundry list of employment policies and provitions
- True stories of companies with bad handbooks
- New and innovative approaches by knowledgeable employment attorneys
- The attendee will be able to identify different types of employer communications.
- The attendee will be able to categorize different types of employees.
- The attendee will be able to make lists of employment policies and rank their importance.
- The attendee will be able to develop an action plan.
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
I. Overview Of Handbooks, Policies And Employer Communications
A. Introduction To The Workshop
B. Different Types Of Employer Communciations
C. Terminology And Definitions
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
II. Different Policies For Different Employees
A. Types of Employees
1. Full And Part-time Employees
2. At Will And Contractual Employees
3. Independent Contractors
4. Employee Classifications
B. Managing Multiple Sets Of Policies And Information
10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
10:15 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
[Lunch (On Your Own) 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.]
III. Sorting Through Policies And Information
A. Laundry List Of Policies And Information
B. Evaluating, Ranking And Mapping
C. Sample Provisions
D. Hands-On Review Of Your Company Handbook
E. Developing Your Action Plan
3:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
3:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
IV. Distributing And Managing Handbooks
A. Forms Of Handbooks And Policies
B. Initial Distribution And Presentation
C. Making Changes
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
V. Recap; Questions And Answers