Do you wonder if your employee handbook is current and contains all the 'right' provisions? Do you wonder if some of the provisions in your handbook need to be reviewed and updated?
Designed for human resource and other professionals, this program is intended to provide hands-on, practical information regarding employee handbook provisions:
- At-will employment
- Employee privacy
- Non-discrimination and harassment policies
- Employee discipline and personnel files
- Employee compensation and benefits
- The attendee will be able to discuss employee compensation and benefits.
- The attendee will be able to identify policies describing employee leaves.
- The attendee will be able to review non-discrimination and harassment policies.
9:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
I. At-Will Employment
A. Express And Implied Contracts
B. The Employee Handbook As A Contract
C. Abrogation Of Employment At-Will
D. Use Of Disclaimers To Avoid Contractual Liability
E. Use Of Employment Agreements In Conjunction With An Employee Handbook
9:45 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
II. Employee Privacy
A. Drug And Alcohol Testing
B. Off-Duty Conduct
C. Conflicts Of Interest
D. Workplace Searches
10:45 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
III. Policies Describing Employee
A. Family And Medical Leave Act
B. Americans With Disability Act
C. Pregnancy Disability Leave
D. Workers' Compensation Leave
E. Other Leave Policies
1. Sick Leave
3. Personal Time Off
4. Military Leave
5. Jury Duty/Witness Duty
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
IV. Non-Discrimination And
A. Why Is The Policy Important
B. What The Policy Should Include
C. How To Implement The Policy
1:45 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
V. Employee Discipline And
A. Progressive Discipline
B. Employee Responses To Discipline And Grievance Procedures
C. What Should Be In A Personnel File?
D. Policies On Access To Information In A Personnel File
1. Access By Employees
2. Providing Information To Others
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
VI. Employee Compensation And
A. Minimum Wage And Overtime Obligations
1. Hourly And Salaried Employees
2. 'Safe Harbor' Policy
B. Payment Of Wages And Withholding Requirements
1. Pay On Separation From Employment
2. Deductions From Pay
C. Recordkeeping Obligations
D. Policies On Employee Benefits
3:30 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
VII. Policy On Confidential Or
A. Policy Protecting Confidential And Propriety Information
1. Hawaii's Trade Secret Statute
2. Return Of Confidential And Propriety Information
B. Non-Competition Agreements
C. Arbitration Agreements
4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VIII. Question And Answer