Available for on-site presentation only at this time.
In the last several years, issues such as cybersabotage (hacking), espionage, stalking and infringement, cyber harassment, discovery requests for electronically stored data, identity theft and surreptitious photographic equipment (picture phones) have begun to confound businesses. Protecting companies against egregious electronic abuses by outsiders and employees has become one of the human resources professionals' job responsibilities. Common threat sources to technology systems include natural threats (e.g. floods, earthquakes, electrical storms), human threats (unintentional acts or deliberate actions) and environmental threats (power failures, chemicals, liquid leaking). In addition, companies' policies and procedures necessarily need to change with times. This presentation is intended to red flag potential problem areas, help you prevent liability and deal with problems after they arise.
- Required recordkeeping for internet job applicants
- Challenges with the retention of electronic documents
- Electronics background checking
- Cell phones, picture phones, 'shoe phones' and cameras: Maxwell Smart hits your company
- Who's minding the electronic store?
- The attendee will be able to discuss electronic background checking.
- The attendee will be able to identify statutory retention requirements.
- The attendee will be able to review company policies regarding email and internet.
8:30 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
I. Internet Applications And Resumes: Required Recordkeeping For Internet Job
A. Using Internet And Electronic Data Processing Technology As Part Of The Initial Recruitment And Selection Process
B. Proposed EEO Recordkeeping Guidelines Require Employers To Track Some Internet
II. Challenges With The Retention Of Electronic Documents
A. Statutory Retention Requirements
1. Documents That Must Be Retained
2. How The Documents Must Be Retained
3. How Long The Documents Must Be Retained
B. Litigation Obligations
1. What Must You Produce
2. When Must You Produce
3. What Steps Must You Take To Ensure The Documents Safekeeping
10:15 a.m. - 10:25 a.m.
10:25 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
III. Electronic Background Checking
A. What To Check
B. Is Consent Needed?
IV. Company Policies Regarding E-Mail And Internet
A. Why Are They Necessary?
B. How To Develop And Implement
12:45 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
V. Privacy Issues
A. 'No Privacy' Workplace Policies
B. Legal Liability for Monitoring Communications
2:45 p.m. - 2:55 p.m.
2:55 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VI. Cell Phones, Picture Phones, 'Shoe Phones' And Cameras: Maxwell Smart Hits Your
A. Why All The Concern Over These New Toys?
B. Safety And Privacy Issues
C. Banning Picture Phones In The Workplace
D. Liability Issues
VII. Who's Minding The Electronic Store? (The Team Approach)
A. Corporate Risk Management Team
B. Legal Department/Corporate Legal Counsel
C. MIS Department/Technical Support Personnel
D. Human Resources Professional
E. Outside Resources