Everyone who is involved with longshore claims must be aware of the numerous and often complex issues associated with handling them. Knowing and utilizing these issues can mean the difference between a successful or unsuccessfully outcome.
The purpose of this seminar is to provide you with practical, up-to-date information on the longshore claims process and to obtain a fundamental knowledge of the Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act including benefits available to the injured workers.
- Overview of The Longshore Act
- Prosecuting a claim under The Longshore Act - A Claimant's Perspective
- The role of the department of labor in Longshore claims
- Special considerations under The Longshore Act
- Alternative dispute resolution under The Longshore Act
- The attendee will be able to discuss how to prosecute a claim under the Longshore Act.
- The attendee will be able to identify the role of the Department of Labor in Longshore claims.
- The attendee will be able to review special considerations and alternative dispute resolution under the Longshore Act.
9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
I. Overview Of The Longshore Act
A. Jurisdiction Issues
B. Indemnity Benefits
1. Average Weekly Wage Determination
2. Scheduled And Non-Scheduled Injuries
C. Medical Care
10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
II. Prosecuting A Claim Under The Longshore Act – A Claimant's Perspective
A. Identifying Issues
B. Medical Considerations
C. Filing A Claim
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
III. The Role Of The Department Of Labor In Longshore Claims
A. The Claim Procedure
B. Nuts And Bolts Of The Informal Conference
C. Special Considerations
2:15 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
IV. Special Considerations Under The Longshore Act
A. Discovery Methods
B. Vocational Rehabilitation
C. Occupational Exposure Claims
1. Statute Of Limitations
2. Average Weekly Wage
3. Responsible Employer/Carrier
3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
V. Alternative Dispute Resolution Under The Longshore Act
A. Effective Use Of Informal Conference
4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VI. Question And Answer Session