This program will focus on effective legal writing. Attendees will learn skills in structuring pleadings and improving the overall quality of their legal writing. Particular emphasis will be placed on the practical legal skills necessary to write persuasive pleadings and appellate briefs.
- Overview of sound basic legal writing skills
- Role of legal research in writing
- Dispositive motions
- Appellate writing skills
- Legal writing from the court's perspective
- The attendee will be able to discuss the role of legal research in writing.
- The attendee will be able to identify dispositive motions.
- The attendee will be able to review legal writing from the court's perspective.
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
I. Overview Of Sound Basic Legal Writing Skills
A review of the basics, including thesis paragraphs; topic sentences; signals and
transitions; eliminating wordiness; straightforward writing and good mechanics
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
II. Role Of Legal Research In Writing
A. Finding The Right Cases To Support Your Position
B. Persuasively Integrating Legal Authority Into Your Writing
C. Verifying Your Legal Research
11:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
12:45 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
III. Dispositive Motions
A. Format And Organization
B. Persuasive Writing And Strategies
C. Reply Memoranda And Motions For Reconsideration
1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
IV. Appellate Writing Skills
A. Follow The Rules: Brief Formatting And Requirements For State And Federal Appeals
B. Persuasion And Style In Appellate Writing
1. Writing Persuasively
2. Specific Tips For Required Brief Components In Both State And Federal Appeals
3. Amicus Curiae Briefs
4. Motions For Discretionary Review
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
V. Legal Writing From The Court's Perspective
A. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly – A Few Examples
2. Not So Good
4. Some Fixes
B. It's All In The Details
1. Top 10 'Don'ts'
2. Top 10 'Do's'
C. You Never Get A Second Chance To Make A First Impression
3. Cultivating A Positive Image
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VI. Questions And Answers