This program will cover the overview of privacy rule requirements and how it fits into administrative simplification. It will also cover details dealing with privacy issues and auditing and maintenance suggestions.
- Review of the four categories of HIPAA privacy: administrative, uses and disclosures, safeguards and individual rights
- Update of HIPAA privacy and enforcement - to date
- Pennsylvania Law- areas which preempt federal law
- Auditing and maintenance suggestions (helpful areas to 'measure' your compliance)
- The attendee will be able to discuss the four categories of HIPAA privacy.
- The attendee will be able to identify areas of preemption.
- The attendee will be able to review HIPAA privacy enforcement and compliance updates.
9:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
I. Overview And Introductions
9:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
II. Review Of The Four Categories Of HIPAA Privacy
B. Uses And Disclosures
D. Individual Rights
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
III. HIPAA Privacy Enforcement And Compliance Updates
A. How Is OCR Enforcing The Privacy Rule? Is The Enforcement Tide Changing?
B. First Conviction
C. Other Compliance Updates Such As Security, NPI Brief Reminder
D. Continuing Myths About HIPAA
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
IV. Pennsylvania Law – Areas Of Preemption
A. What Is Preemption? Why Does It Matter?
B. State Concerns: 'Highly Confidential Information'
2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
V. The Security Rule
A. What Is The Security Rule?
B. How Does It Relate To The Privacy Rule?
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
VI. Ethics: Focus On Confidentiality
A. Business Associate Agreements: Protecting PHI Downstream
B. Ethical Implications Of HIPAA For Attorneys
3:45 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VII. Auditing And Maintenance Suggestions: Helpful Areas To 'Measure' Your
A. Building Maintenance Into Your Policies And Procedures
B. Monitoring Access (Performing Termination And Modification Measurements)
C. Accounting Of Disclosure Monitoring
D. Patient Rights Monitoring