The move to health information technology brings its own set of financial and implementation challenges to health care providers. In this seminar, participants interact with colleagues, consultants, vendors and implementation strategists to evaluate, manage and maximize the move to electronic health records.
- How work flows in paper and electronic environments
- How to put together an EHR implementation dream team and timeline
- How to assess basic to advanced features or functions you really need
- What security steps should you take before launching an EHR solution?
- How to use a request for proposal to get what you want
- The human factor in EHR implementation
- Clinical server - versus - Application Service Provider (ASP)
- When and how to securely communicate with hospitals, labs, pharmacies and patients
- How to evaluate clinical workflow issues and re-engineer processes
- The physician perspective: Docs talk to docs about their implementation experiences
- The attendee will be able to discuss a secure EHR foundation.
- The attendee will be able to identify clinical customization of an EMR.
- The attendee will be able to review interoperability in the EMR/EHR process.
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
I. Field Update On EHR Adoption
A. Status Of EHR Adoption Among Physician Practices
B. 10 Questions Physicians Ask Vendors Before Making A Purchase
C. How To Integrate Workflow Into Your Vendor Selection
D. Lessons Learned From Other Practices
E. Case Studies Of Physician Collaborations
F. Attendees In This Session Will Receive A Sample RFP
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
II. A Secure EHR Foundation
A. The Case For Security: A Business And Legislative Imperative
B. Technology Vulnerabilities And Threats Exist Among Physician Practices
C. Conducting A Security Impact Analysis In A Clinical Setting
D. Best Practices In Risk Reduction
E. Conduct A HIPAA Risk Assessment For A Small To Midsize Practice
11:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Lunch (Included) Many Thanks To Misys Healthcare For Sponsoring Our Lunch
12:45 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
III. Clinical Customization Of An EMR
A. How To Improve Clinical Documentation To Support Billing Levels
B. Clinical Workflow Issues
C. How To Create Clinical Documentation Templates
D. Procedures For Appropriate Billing And Customization With A Flexible EMR
E. Product Demonstration
1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
IV. Client Server - versus - Application Service Provider (ASP): Which EMR Platform Is Right
For Your Practice?
A. Value Propositions Of The ASP Model
B. Value Propositions Of The Client Server Model
C. Myths About ASPs
D. Myths About Client Server
E. Financial Investment, Resources And Support Needed For ASP Environments And Client Server Environments
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
V. Interoperability In The EMR/EHR Process
A. What Interoperability Means To Physicians And Patients
B. What The Practice Should Expect From Their Vendor
C. Implementation And Management Of Interoperable EHRs
D. How To Use An EHR To Communicate With Hospitals, Labs, Pharmacies And Patients
E. Product Demonstration
4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
VI. EHR Vendor Challenge
Attendees present clinical or administrative situations that give EHR vendors an
opportunity to demonstrate how their application would respond. Attendees
must present situations during the lunch hour so that EHR vendors can cue up
their responses by this afternoon session.