This seminar will provide an overview of Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism for school personnel, community professionals, and family members. Students with Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism have complex profiles and diverse needs and abilities. This seminar will provide an overview of the characteristics of these students and of the challenges faced by those individuals who are responsible for their care and education. We will present effective strategies for serving these students in the educational setting, with a focus on comprehensive service models that utilize a multi-disciplinary approach. Finally, effective intervention strategies for supporting and educating students with Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism will be presented.
- Understanding Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism
- Cognitive, social, behavioral and learning characteristics
- Educational and social needs
- Models for comprehensive service delivery at school and in the community
- Effective intervention and support strategies across developmental levels
- The attendee will be able to identify characteristics of Asperger Syndrome and HFA.
- The attendee will be able to identify specific educational considerations for this population.
- The attendee will become familiar with specific intervention strategies for this population.
9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
I. Overview Of Asperger Syndrome And High Functioning Autism
B. Assessment And Diagnosis
C. Academic Strengths And Needs
D. Comprehensive Service Models
E. Early Intervention
11:00 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
11:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
II. ASDs At School
A. Special Education Law
B. Accessing Special Education Services
C. Designing Appropriate Educational Settings
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
II. ASDs At School (Continued)
D. Accommodations And Modifications
E. Addressing Emotional And Behavioral Needs
F. Related Services: Creating An Integrative Team Approach
G. Staff/Peer Education
H. Facilitating Collaboration Between Schools And Families
I. Transition Planning
2:00 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
2:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
III. Intervention Strategies
A. Functional Behavioral Analysis And Positive Behavioral Interventions
B. Visual Support Strategies
C. Social Skills Training
D. Vocational Training
4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
IV. Question And Answer Session