Anyone who works with students and their families or is interested in understanding and dealing with the problem of aggression and bullying in schools should attend this seminar. This seminar will familiarize participants with aggressive behaviors in students and equip participants with the knowledge and understanding to manage and change aggressive behaviors in students and to ensure a safe and civil school climate where learning takes place in a supportive environment.
- Understand aggression in students
- Developing strategies for aggressive students
- Dealing with the bully at school
- Discipline policy and procedures for schools
- The attendee will be able to discuss different types of aggressive behavior.
- The attendee will be able to identify school law, regulations and legal requirements.
- The attendee will be able to review assessing and developing behavioral plans.
8:30 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
I. Overview Of Aggression In Students
A. Defining Aggressive Behavior
B. Types Of Aggression
1. Physical Or Verbal Aggression
2. Self-Control/Anger Problems
3. Fighting/Assaultive Behaviors
4. Arguing With Peers Or Adults
5. Teasing/Threatening Others
6. Harassment/Bullying Behaviors
C. Responsibility For Today's Schools
10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
II. Discipline And The Aggressive Student
A. Overview Of School Law/Regulations/Legal Requirements
B. District Policies And Procedures
1. General Discipline Procedures For Dealing With Aggressive Behaviors
2. Need For Anti-Bullying Policies And Procedures
C. Discipline And The Child With A Disability
D. Dealing With Dangerous Students
E. Alternative Programs
12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
III. Developing Strategies For Aggressive Students
A. Assessing Behavior/Developing Behavior Plans
B. Selecting Behavior Interventions For Aggressive Students
1. Positive Behavior Supports/Reinforcement Strategies
2. Social Skills/Problem-Solving/Self-Control Training
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
IV. Dealing With The Bully At School
A. Steps For Handling Bullying Incidents
B. Strategies For Changing Bullying Behavior
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
V. Questions And Answers/Resources For Schools