Developing and maintaining employment and business records are extremely important components of any organization's operation. This seminar is designed to provide human resources professionals and business persons with useful tips for identifying and addressing the employment records issues that affect your day-to-day operations.
- Personnel files
- Employee access rights
- Your most valuable record - your policy manual
- Investigations, documentation and discipline
- Documenting workers' compensation issues
- For every employer no matter what size or nature of business: helpful forms
- The attendee will be able to discuss performance reviews.
- The attendee will be able to identify documents that should and should not be included in personnel files.
- The attendee will be able to review the HIPAA law in brief.
8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
I. HIPAA Certificates
II. HIPAA The Law In Brief
10:30 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
10:40 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
III. HIPAA Employee Frequently Asked
11:15 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
IV. Personnel Files
A. Documents That SHOULD Be Included
B. Documents That SHOULD NOT Be Included
C. Do's And Don'ts Of:
1. Employment Applications
2. Reference Checks
3. I-9 Forms And Supporting Documents
4. New Hire Reporting
5. Interview Notes And Pre- Employment Inquiries
6. Pre-Employment Testing
a. Skill Testing
b. Drugs And Alcohol
e. Physical And Psychological Testing
11:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
V. Employee Access Rights
A. Employer Security Provisions
B. Third Party Access
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
VI. Your Most Valuable Record Your Policy
A. Employment Documentation Tips On:
1. Employment At Will
2. Employee Conduct And Work Rules
3. Sexual And Other Harassment
4. Attendance And Punctuality
5. Return Of Property
7. Security Inspections
9. Progressive Discipline
10. Problem Resolution
11. Conflicts Of Interest
12. Non-Compete Agreements
13. Electronic Communications
1:15 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
VII. OSHA Revised Recordkeeping Rules
1:30 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
VIII. Affirmative Action Records
A. Sample Policy
B. Sample Forms
1:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
IX. Independent Contractor Documents/Non-
2:00 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
X. Performance Reviews
A. They Can 'Save Your Bacon' Or, They Can 'Cook Your Goose!'
2:15 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
XI. Investigations, Documentation And
A. When To Investigate
B. What Makes A Good Investigation?
C. How To Conduct A Good Investigation
D. What Documents Should Result?
E. Completing The Investigation
F. What To Do Next
2:30 p.m. - 2:40 p.m.
2:40 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
XII. Documenting Workers' Compensation
A. Employer's Perspective
B. Reporting Injuries
C. Safety Training
D. Other Training
3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
XIII. Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
A. Exempt Or Non-Exempt: That Is The Question
3:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
XIV. Family And Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
A. Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
1. Correct And Timely Recordkeeping Is CRITICAL!
2. Sample Policies And Forms
3:30 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
XV. Before You Fire 'For Cause'
A. Document, Document, Document
B. Termination Meeting Checklist
C. Disputing Unemployment Claims
3:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
XVI. COBRA Benefits Continuation
XVII. HIPAA Health Insurance Portability And
4:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
XVIII. Exit Interviews
A. Severance Agreements
4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
XIX. For Every Employer No Matter What Size
Or Nature Of Business: Helpful Forms
A. One Of The Best And Most Comprehensive Checklists Of Federal Law Recordkeeping Requirements Available