No Child Left Behind Act presents many challenges for school districts as they strive to include all students in the accountability movement. This session will review the major provisions of the No Child Left Behind Act that impact special education. Particular attention will be given to how schools can meet the mandate of highly qualified personnel and at the same time deal with special education teacher shortages. School safety provisions and the discipline of special education students will be reviewed. Many ask the question: 'What is the interface between the No Child Left Behind Act and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act?' The issue will be discussed in this session.
- How and why the No Child Left Behind Act came to be
- Florida's response
- Intersection between NCLB, IDEA and Section 504
- So, where do we go from here? Outcomes of NCLB and IDEA, including lawsuits and theories for lawsuits
- How to achieve compliance and minimize sanctions
- The attendee will be able to discuss issues surrounding the NCLB.
- The attendee will be able to identify the critical components of the No Child Left Behind Act that impact special education.
- The attendee will be able to determine appropriate accommodations for students with disabilities.
9:00 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. (Break 10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.)
I. History And Overview Of NCLB
II. Requirements And Benchmarks Under NCLB
III. Consequences And Sanctions For Failing To Achieve AYP
IV. Florida Law And Responses to NCLB
11:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
V. Requirements Of NCLB, IDEA And Section 504
A. Teacher Qualifications
B. Paraprofessional Requirements And Duties
C. Impact Of IDEA's Reauthorization On NCLB's Teacher And Paraprofessional Requirements
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
V. Requirements Of NCLB, IDEA And Section 504 (Continued)
D. Assessments Of Students With Disabilities
E. Accommodations For Students With Disabilities
F. Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP)
G. Consequences For Failing To Make AYP
1. Choice And Transportation
2. Supplemental Educational Services (SES)
3. Monetary And Governance Sanctions
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
VI. So, Where Do We Go From Here?
A. Impact On Educators
B. Impact On Students And Parents
1. McKinney-Vento Act (Homeless)
3. Lawsuits And Legal Theories For Further Litigation
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VII. Question And Answer Period