As interstate commerce, especially e-commerce, continues to flourish, overhauling the state sales tax has become a priority for state governments. The Streamlined Sales Tax Project (STTP) is gathering momentum across the country, and it's important for tax planners and business owners alike to get comprehensive information about STTP and learn how it will affect them.
STTP's goal is to simplify the sales tax system and accommodate interstate commerce. State representatives and representatives from organizations such as the Council on State Taxation, the National Retail Federation and the American Automobile Leasing Association, have been hammering out details.
- LEARN how the SSTP and its rules are a response to the challenges faced by multistate sellers and to state governments struggling with nexus issues and the challenges facing sellers
- KNOW how the SSTP affects how your business complies with sales and use tax collection in Ohio and in other states
- UNDERSTAND how the SSTP drives changes in Ohio sales and use tax law, including situsing rules.
- The attendee will be able to discuss uniform sourcing rules and Ohio implementation.
- The attendee will be able to identify sales tax challenges facing multi-state sellers.
- The attendee will be able to understand the basic structure of Ohio sales and use tax, particularly those aspects that are affectd by the SSTP.
8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
I. Overview Of Sales Tax, Multistate Taxation And The Streamlined
Sales Tax Project
A. Sales And Use Tax Overview
B. History And Structure Of The SSTP
II. Overview Of Ohio Sales And Use Tax
A. Taxable Sales
10:30 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
10:40 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
III. Overview Of Sales Tax Challenges Facing Multi-State Sellers
IV. Overview Of Sales And Use Tax Nexus Issues
A. Nexus For State And Local Taxes Generally
B. Nexus For Sales And Use Tax Collection By A Remote Seller
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.
V. Uniform Definitions And Ohio implementation
VI. State-Level Tax And Rate Simplification
VIII. Uniform Sourcing Rules And Ohio Implementation
2:50 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
IX. Exemptions And Exemption Administration
X. Technology Models And Certification
XI. Future Development