The laws and regulations on privacy are complex and confusing. This seminar will discuss Ontario Privacy legislation and the differences between Federal and Provincial Privacy legislation and how it affects your ability to collect personal information for your organization, distribute personal information and what liabilities are involved.
The presenter will discuss practical information you can use to make sure you have the processes in place to comply with the existing federal legislation.
- 'Personal information': What is it and what is exempt from protection?
- Handling personal information
- What is the role of the privacy liaison?
- What can the commissioner do to enforce the law?
- The attendee will be able to discuss handling and managing personal information.
- The attendee will be able to identify potential liabilities relating to enforcement.
- The attendee will be able to review application of the privacy laws.
9:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
9:15 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
II. Application Of The Privacy Laws
A. Who's Covered Under PIPEDA (Federal Legislation)?
B. Who Will Be Covered Under PIPA?
C. Which Employees/Persons Have Rights Under The Provincial Privacy Law?
D. 'Personal Information': What Is It And What Is Exempt From Protection?
10:45 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
11:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
III. Handling Personal Information
A. What Are The Rules For The Collection, Use And Disclosure Of Personal Information?
B. When Is Consent Required And How Is It Obtained?
C. What Are The Limits To Consent?
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
IV. Managing Personal Information
A. What Are The Policies/Procedures Needed?
B. What Security And Accountability Checks Must Be Introduced?
C. What Information Must Be Made Available To The Public And In What Form?
D. What Is The Role Of The Privacy Liaison?
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
A. What Are The Rights Of Access And Correction?
B. What Can The Commissioner Do To Enforce The Law?
C. What Are The Potential Liabilities?
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VI. Question And Answer Period