Most every construction project presents an issue of changes, either anticipated or unanticipated. The issue of changes, and the related subjects of extra work and differing site conditions, must be understood by all parties of the construction project. Changes in a construction project can have a significant impact on project costs and project schedules. Dealing with changes is important both to the project itself and the relationship of the parties.
- Recognizing and understanding the concept of changes in construction projects
- Dealing with changes both prior to and during construction
- Claims based upon changes from contractors and subcontractors
- Civil and criminal statutes that bear on the issue of construction change orders
- The attendee will be able to discuss constructive changes.
- The attendee will be able to identify change orders vs. change directives.
- The attendee will be able to review the sources of change.
8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
I. Overview Of Changes
A. What Is A Change?
B. Why The Concern About Changes In Construction Projects?
C. What Are The Sources Of Changes?
D. Avoiding Changes
9:30 a.m. - 9:40 a.m.
9:40 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
II. The Contract Change Process
A. The Process In General
B. Change Orders vs. Change Directives
C. AIA Contract Documents
D. IDOT Road And Bridge Standard Specifications
E. CDB Standard Contract Provisions
F. Engineers Joint Council Standard Provisions
G. Authority To Approve Changes
H. Surety Consent
I. Change Order Forms
J. Informal Changes
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
III. Proving A Claim For Extra Work
A. Illinois Case Law
B. Recovery Without A Written Change Order
C. Constructive Changes
2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
IV. Differing Site Condition Clauses And Claims
3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
V. Is There Owner Liability For Subcontractor Extra Work Claims?
3:15 p.m. - 3:25 p.m.
3:25 p.m. - 3:40 p.m.
VI. Cardinal Changes And Owner Liability
3:40 p.m. - 4:10 p.m.
VII. Change Order Statutes
A. Illinois Procurement Code
B. Public Works Contract Change Order Act
C. Section 33-E-9 Of The Illinois Criminal Code
4:10 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VIII. Questions And Answers