This one-day seminar is designed to address current legal trends and issues that affect employers and their health plans. This seminar will provide a brief summary of practical HIPAA implementation strategies, compliance strategies for the most recent COBRA regulations, and a discussion of various supplemental retirement plan products (flexible spending plans, health reimbursement accounts, health savings accounts, etc.).
- Factors to consider when considering self-funding health benefits
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA)
- Recent developments in health and welfare benefits
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
I. Current Trends In Health Care And
What Employers Are Doing To
9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
II. HIPAA Privacy Compliance
Update: Have You Forgotten
9:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
III. ERISA Administrative Compliance
Checkup – Troublespots
10:00 a.m. - 10:20 a.m.
IV. Important Considerations With
Military Leave And Health Benefits
10:20 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
V. Factors To Consider When
Considering Self-Funding Health
11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
VI. Recent Developments In Health
And Welfare Benefits
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
A. COBRA Trouble Spots
B. New COBRA Notice Requirements
C. Other New Developments
2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
VIII. Introduction To Health
A. What Are They?
B. Common Design Features
C. How Do They Cut Costs?
D. Why Should Employers Consider Them?
3:00 p.m. - 3:10 p.m.
3:10 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
IX. Introduction To Health Savings
C. Rules And Definitions: What Are HSAs?
1. HSAs Defined
2. Eligibility Requirements And Definitions
a. 'Eligible Individual'
b. High Deductible HealthPlans (HDHP)
d. Qualified Medical Expenses
D. Contributions To An HSA
1. Making Contributions
2. Limitations On Contributions
3. Treatment Of Excess Contributions
4. Form And Timing Of Contributions
F. Setting Up A Plan
2. Trust Requirements
3. Trustee And Custodian Rules
4. Investment Limitations
5. Reporting Requirements
G. Comparison With Other Arrangements
H. IRS Guidance
1. Notice 2004-2
2. Additional IRS Guidance Released March 30, 2004
3. Additional IRS Guidance Expected Summer, 2004
I. Open Issues
3. Employer Options In Structuring HSA
4. ERISA Application