Students diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism have complex profiles and needs. School personnel, first responders and family members need to understand the assets and needs of these individuals in order to work with them effectively. This seminar is designed to provide ideas, strategies, models and interventions that will lay the groundwork for integrated, comprehensive, proactive services that will maximize the potential of individuals with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism.
- An overview of Asperger Syndrome and high-functioning autism
- Important educational considerations
- Educational support strategies
- The attendee will be able to discuss educational support strategies.
- The attendee will be able to identify the important educational considerations for individuals with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism.
- The attendee will be able to review Asperger Syndrome and high-functioning autism.
8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
I. An Overview Of Asperger Syndrome And High-Functioning Autism
B. Differential Diagnosis
C. The Importance Of Assessment
D. Securing Services
E. The Need For An Integrative, Comprehensive Team And Support Services
10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
10:15 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
II. Important Educational Considerations
A. The Importance Of Early Intervention
B. 'Behind Every Behavior'
C. Functional Behavioral Analysis And Positive Behavioral Intervention Plans
D. Social And Communication Needs
E. Executive Functioning Deficits
F. Sensory Processing Differences
G. Academic Strengths And Needs
H. Staff And Student Training
I. Beneficial Educational Settings
11:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
III. Questions And Answers
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
IV. Video: 'Anger Management' Presented By Dr. Tony Attwood
2:00 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
2:15 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
V. Educational Support Strategies
A. Strength-Based Programming
B. Beneficial Educational Settings
C. Staff And Student Training
D. Accommodations And Modifications
E. Social And Communication Skills Training
F. Adaptive Behavior
G. Assistive Technology
H. O.T. And P.T. Support
I. Vocational Training