Children viewed as having behavioral concerns are often alienated and assigned a multitude of unfriendly labels. Many attempted approaches to eliminate undesirable behaviors are either punitive or patronizing as the long-standing practice of blaming the child and/or families continues. This seminar is designed to provide attendees with insights into the benefits of utilizing proactive, reflective approaches to behavioral intervention that highlight student strengths and interests. Strategies that focus on environmental modification versus 'fixing' the child will be shared.
- The attendee will understand the concept of 'behind every behavior is a reason.'
- The attendee will be able to detect signs of sensory integration dysfunction.
- The attendee will understand the power of strength-based programming.
- The attendee will understand the methods for conducting functional behavioral assessments, writing positive behavioral intervention plans and evaluating behavior programs.
- The attendee will be able to write positive behavioral intervention plans.
- The attendee will be able to identify strategies to promote positive behavior.
- The attendee will be able to explain an overview of sensory integration dysfunction.
8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
I. 'Behind Every Behavior' Underlying Causes Of Behavior
A. The Basics Of Behavior
B. Strategies To Promote Positive Behavior
C. Bullying And Its Impact On Behavior
D. Neurological Issues
E. Social And Communication Needs
F. Academic Issues
G. Environmental Issues
10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
10:15 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
II. 'It Makes Good Sense' What Is Sensory Integration?
A. An Overview Of Sensory Integration
B. An Overview Of Sensory Integration Dysfunction
C. Signs Of Sensory Integration Dysfunction
D. Organizing Sensory Input And Activities For The Classroom
E. SAFE Activities (Sensory-Motor, Appropriate, Fun And Easy)
11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
III. Questions And Answers
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
IV. 'Let The Rabbits Run' Strength-Based Programming
A. Creating A Positive Classroom Environment For All Students
B. Integrative, Comprehensive Teams
C. The Importance Of Early Intervention
D. Conducting Functional Behavioral Assessments
E. Writing Positive Behavioral Intervention Plans
F. Measuring Behavioral Programs
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
V. 'Thriving At School' Educational Support Strategies
A. Accommodations And Modification
B. Social Skills Training
C. Assistive Technology
D. Staff And Student Training
E. Reflective Teaching
F. It's All About Communication
3:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
VI. Questions And Answers