This seminar will discuss a thoughtful approach to the identification of the events that reliably predict the occurrence or non-occurrence of problem behavior for students who demonstrate repetitive problem behavior in the school setting. With an understanding of strategies to assist in the identification of predictors, participants will gain knowledge in developing effective behavioral plans based on the manipulation of predictors and on the identified function of behavior. The seminar's focus will be on aggressive behavior, but practical application of the process will be transferable to any problem behavior.
- Overview of team support process
- The escalation cycle
- School-wide behavioral supports
- 'ABC' model of behavioral support
- Overview of aggression in children
- Practicing the 'ABC' model of data collection
- Behavioral planning and behavior pathways
- The attendee will be able to discuss the importance of a team-based approach and school-wide behavioral supports.
- The attendee will be able to identify techniques for implementing the 'ABC' observation.
- The attendee will be able to review behavioral plans and behavior pathways.
8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
I. Overview Of Today's Objectives
II. Team-Based Approach And School-Wide Behavioral Supports
A. Successful Team Practices
B. Defining Aggressive Behavior
C. Supporting School-Wide Positive Behavior: Influencing School Culture; Long-Term Planning
D. Problem-Solving Model
9:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
III. Aggression In Children
A. Types Of Aggression
B. Prevalence In Children
C. Theories Of Aggression
10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
10:15 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
IV. The Escalation Cycle
10:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
V. The 'ABC' Model Of Behavioral Support: 'Understanding The Context'
A. Defining Target Behaviors
B. Understanding Antecedents
C. Identifying Maintaining Consequences
D. Other Associated Events
11:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
12:45 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
VI. Behavioral Plans And Behavior Pathways
A. Competing Behavioral Pathways
B. Elements Of Effective Behavioral Plans
C. Reviewing Case Examples
2:15 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
2:30 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
VII. Implementing The 'ABC' Observation
A. Video Practice
B. Reviewing Practice Data
C. Developing Summary Statements
D. Practice For Participants
3:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
VIII. Questions And Answers