Maryland public entities undertaking construction projects face comprehensive public contracting statutes, environmental laws and a contentious claims environment, which combine to pose legal and practice challenges unique to public construction.
- Bidding requirements
- Available procurement methods
- Bid protests
- Performance and payment bonds
- Claims procedures
- The attendee will be able to discuss project bidding.
- The attendee will be able to identify issues relating to contract claims and disputes.
- The attendee will be able to review standard construction contract clauses.
9:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
9:45 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
II. Project Bidding
A. Maryland State Public Bidding Requirements
1. Overview Of State Procurement Organization
2. Bidding Requirements
a. Invitation To Bid (Including Advertisement)
b. Opening Of Bids
c. Withdrawal Of Bids
d. Rejection Of Bids/Cancellation Of Solicitations
e. Bid Security
f. Award Of Contracts And Disclosures
g. Unlawful Conduct
3. Available Procurement Methods
a. Competitive Sealed Bids
b. Noncompetitive Negotiation
c. Sole Source Procurement
d. Emergency Or Expedited Procurement
e. Small Procurement
4. Architectural And Engineering Services
B. County Public Bidding Requirements
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
II. Project Bidding (Continued)
C. Bid Protests
a. Initial Claims
b. Appeals To The Maryland State Board Of Contract
c. Judicial Review
2. Common Issues
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
III. Standard Construction Contract Clauses
B. Variations In Estimated Quantities
C. Suspension Of Work
D. Differing Site Conditions
F. Site Investigation
G. Default, Delay And Time Extensions
H. Liquidated Damages
I. Termination For Convenience
J. Performance And Payment Bonds
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. 3:45 p.m.
III. Standard Construction Contract Clauses (Continued)
3:45 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
IV. Contract Claims And Disputes
A. Claims Procedure
1. Initial Claims
2. Appeals To The Maryland State Board Of Contract
3. Judicial Review
B. Contract Claims Procedures
C. Debarment Of Contractors