This one-day program will focus on the latest trends affecting the workplace. In addition to examining the most recent judicial and legislative developments, including trends related to workplace privacy, arbitration, and wage and hour laws, our faculty will discuss issues regarding workplace safety, workers' compensation, the ADA and FMLA, and workplace complaints. Human resource and payroll professionals, business owners, and managers who desire a greater understanding of the latest developments affecting the workplace cannot afford to miss this program!
This seminar will provide:
- Information regarding new federal wage and hour issues
- Details on how to improve your company's ability to manage leaves of absence under the ADA, FMLA and Oklahoma's Worker's Compensation Act
- Information to help determine if your company's policies and practices expose it to workplace privacy claims
- An evaluation of whether or not arbitration agreements are appropriate for your company
- A review of proper policies and practices in handling work place complaints
- An update on what's new in harassment, wrongful termination and discrimination
- Information to help you make sure you are making lawful decisions about the returning veterans
8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
I. Wage And Hour Issues: New
Legislation, Court Cases And
A. New Cases Regarding Wage And Hour Issues
B. Personal Liability For Wages
C. Changes Regarding White Collar Overtime
9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
II. Making Sense Of The FMLA, ADA
And Workers' Compensation
1. Covered Employers
2. Employee Eligibility
3. Types Of Leave
4. Medical Certification
5. Notice Requirements
6. Pay And Benefits
7. Reinstatement Rights
9. Update On Law
B. The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
1. Covered Employers
2. Who Is A Disabled Individual
3. Accommodation Issues
4. Discrimination Prohibited
6. Update On Law
C. Coordination And Management Of FMLA, ADA And Workers' Compensation Issues In The Workplace
1. Oklahoma's Workers' Compensation Statute Prohibitions On Employment Terminations
2. Interplay Of Rights And Obligations
10:30 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
10:40 a.m. - 11:40 a.m.
III. Employee Privacy/Workplace
A. Employee Privacy
1. Alcohol And Drug Testing
2. Arrest/Criminal Records
3. Medical Information
4. Background Checks – State And Federal Law
6. Medical And Physical Examinations
B. Workplace Violence
1. Employer Policy
2. Employee Awareness
3. Obtaining Injunctive Relief
11:40 a.m. - 12:40 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
12:40 p.m. - 1:40 p.m.
IV. Mandatory Arbitration Agreements:
Are They Worth Their Weight In
A. Arbitration Agreements
1. Claims Covered
2. Required Terms
3. Agreement 'Unconscionable?'
5. Who Pays?
6. Pros And Cons
1:40 p.m. - 2:40 p.m.
V. Handling Workplace Complaints:
A. Essential Components Of A Proper Investigation
B. Investigation Allegation Of Discrimination Or Harassment vs. Allegations Of Employee Misconduct
2:40 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.
2:50 p.m. - 3:50 p.m.
VI. Harassment, Wrongful Termination
And Discrimination Claims In The
B. Wrongful Termination
3:50 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VII. When Johnny Comes Marching
Home . . . Uniformed Service
Employment And Re-Employment
Rights Act (USERRA)
A. Scope Of USERRA
B. Re-Employment Rights
C. Other Rights And Benefits