Available for on-site presentation only at this time.
DUI penalties have increased over the years. Fines are stiffer, jail sentences are lengthier and convictions are kept on file longer.
Add to these penalties the potential long-term effects a DUI conviction can have on the defendant's finances, job prospects and insurance coverage, and, it goes without saying, how important a DUI case can become.
This seminar is about DUI defense designed for all attorneys, from those with some experience in defending DUIs to those with little or no experience with DUI cases in Florida.
- You will have an opportunity to work with the Intoxylizer 5000 as its faults are explained to you.
- Learn defenses that have been recently developed.
- Hear novel cross-examination techniques designed to maximize your chances of success.
- Bring yourself up-to-date on the constantly changing laws involving DUI.
- Attendees will receive copies of motions and memos that have been successful.
- All material is geared toward courtroom use.
- You may discuss strategy and law for any existing cases you are defending.
8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
I. Discovery: Getting The Most Out Of Discovery
A. New Ways To Get Depositions
B. Obtaining Material The State Doesn't Give You
C. Converting 'Discovery' Into A Weapon
9:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
II. HIPPA: A Powerful Tool
A. A New Federal Law
B. Its Application
C. A Powerful Weapon In Our Arsenal
10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
10:15 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
III. Cross Examination: The Arresting Officer
A. The Stop
C. Field Sobriety Tests
11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
IV. Appeal And Certiorari: Do's And Don'ts
A. Administrative Hearings
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
V. Trial: Winning Trial Tactics
A. Voir Dire
B. Theory Of Case
D. Opening And Closing Arguments
2:00 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
VI. Affirmative Defenses: How To Win When Driver Was Drunk
A. Legality In Florida
B. From Entrapment To Necessity
C. Winning Presentations
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
VII. Administrative Hearings: How To Cope
A. Confronting Dishonesty
B. New Law
C. Winning Techniques
3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
VIII. Breath Testing: Science Or Pseudoscience
A. New Law
B. New Machines
D. Cross Examination