This one-day seminar is a basic overview of employment law in Massachusetts, including HIPAA regulations. The purpose of this seminar is for employers to have a basic understanding of employment law issues with practical advice for management of their day-to-day operations and minimizing risk and potential liability.
- Handling the hiring process, including interviews and drug testing
- Employment contracts, including non-compete and confidentiality agreements
- Understanding new overtime regulations in Massachusetts
- Utilizing an employee handbook
- How to handle a sexual harassment or discrimination investigation
- HIPAA regulation in the workplace
- Family Medical Leave Act/Small Necessity Leave Act/maternity leave
- Same sex marriages and how it affects health care benefits
8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
A. At-Will Employment
C. Inquiries After Hiring
D. Drug Testing And Other Hiring Tests
E. Employment Contracts
10:00 a.m. - 10:10 a.m.
10:10 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
II. Hours Of Work/Wages
A. Overtime Regulations
B. Workers' Compensation Issues
11:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
III. Employee Handbooks
A. Do You Need One?
B. Sexual Harassment Policy
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
IV. Employment Discrimination/Harassment
12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:30 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
V. Performance Appraisals, Progressive Discipline
B. Consistency Is Key
1:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
VI. Personnel Files/Record Retention
A. Maintaining Keeping Files
B. Access To Files
2:00 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
VII. Privacy In The Workplace
A. Electronic Information Policies
2:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
B. Effect On Employers
2:45 p.m. - 2:55 p.m.
2:55 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
IX. FMLA/Small Necessities Leave/Maternity Leave
A. State Law vs. Federal Law Requirements
3:45 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
X. Same Sex Marriage/Benefits
A. State Law vs. Federal Law
B. Medical/Welfare/Retirement Plans
C. Domestic Partner Policies
4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
XI. Questions And Answers