This is a one-day seminar designed for professionals involved with the school system who must apply and interpret the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act in Tennessee public school districts, private schools and public school academies.
- A review of the purpose and goals of the reathorized IDEA, effective July 2005
- IEP team meeting and due process hearing procedural safeguards
- Student discipline amendments
- Highly qualified teachers
- The attendee will be able to discuss the purpose of the IDEA reauthorization.
- The attendee will be able to identify objectives of individual education plan meetings.
- The attendee will be able to review student disciplinary rules under IDEA.
9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
I. Overview Of The Law And Procedures
A. General Provisions
1. Purpose Of The IDEA/Focus Of Reauthorization
3. Related Services
4. Child Find
5. Prohibition Of Mandatory Medication
B. Highly Qualified Special Education Teachers
10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
II. Evaluations, Reevaluations And IEPs
A. Initial Evaluations/Consent
B. Consent For Services
D. Transfer Students Undergoing Evaluation
G. IEP Team Meetings
1. IEP Objectives
2. Student Progress
3. Team Attendees
4. Transfer Students
5. Multi-Year IEPs (3-Year)
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
III. Procedural Safeguards
A. Prior Written Notice Requirements
B. Due Process Complaint Notice And Preliminary Procedures (Timeline)
C. Attorneys' Fees
2:15 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
IV. Student Discipline
1. Short-Term Removal
2. Long-Term Removal
3. Manifestation Determination
4. Services For Removals For More Than 10 School Days
B. Special Exceptions To Disciplinary Rules
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
V. Roundtable Presentation/Discussion/Questions And Answers