This one-day seminar is designed to enhance participants' knowledge and understanding of the legal issues surrounding student athletic programs. Discussions will focus on school league rules, school district liability, gender equity, special education obligations and employee issues. Professionals seeking a unique opportunity to stay on top of the legal issues related to student athletic programs, and how to gain valuable and practical tips for handling these important issues, will not want to miss this highly informative seminar!
- School district liability for extracurricular activities
- Employee issues
- Extracurricular activities and obligations to students with disabilities
- Who can be hired as a coach and the laws that apply based on the status of the individual
- The attendee will be able to discuss obligations to provide extracurricular activities.
- The attendee will be able to identify factors to be considered in assessing gender equity in extracurricular activities.
- The attendee will be able to review tests/methods of demonstrating compliance with Title IX.
8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
I. Overview Of The Minnesota State High School League Rules
A. General Eligibility Bylaws: Certifying Student Eligibility
B. Student Eligibility Bylaws: Rules Governing Student Conduct
C. Administering The Student Eligibility Program: Local School Responsibilities
D. Due Process
10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
10:15 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
II. School District Liability For Extracurricular Activities
A. Obligations To Provide Extracurricular Activities
1. Ability To Charge Participation Fees
2. Fund-Raising Activities
B. Standard Of Liability
1. General Safety Issues
2. Activities Occurring Off School Sites
3. Transportation Issues
4. Employee Misconduct
5. Waivers Of Liability/Parental Permission
C. Student-To-Student Harassment Issues
11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
III. Gender Equity In Athletics And Extracurricular Activities
A. State And Federal Requirements For Gender Equity In Extracurricular Activities
B. Factors To Be Considered In Assessing Gender Equity In 'Athletic Opportunity'
C. Tests/Methods Of Demonstrating Compliance With Title IX
D. Gender Issues That Arise When Providing Extracurricular Activities
1. Team Offerings
2. Practice Times, Games Times, Facilities
3. Participation In Single Sex Athletics By Member Of The Opposite Sex
4. Private Funding
E. Practical Considerations And Recommendations For School District Athletic Programs
1:15 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
IV. Employee Issues
A. Standards For Employment
2. Background Checks
B. Hiring Outside The School District
1. Outside Experts
2. Volunteer Coaches
C. Coaching Contracts
1. Terms Of The Contract
2. Overtime Issues
D. Performance Evaluations
2:15 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
V. Extracurricular Activities And Obligations To Students With Disabilities
A. Overview Of Section 504/IDEA Requirements
B. Accommodations For Students With Disabilities
C. Impact Of Disability On Participation In Athletic Programs
3:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
VI. Question And Answer Session