Arizona's Public Records and Open Meetings Laws covers both access to public records and access to public meetings. Both express a strong legislative policy in favor of open conduct of government and free public access to government records. It is important that due consideration be given to a fair balance between that legislative policy and the ability of government to conduct its affairs.
This one-day seminar is designed to provide attendees an opportunity to review the full scope of the law and receive an update on developments in its interpretation. The goal will be to present a balanced view through counsel experienced in representation, the full spectrum of entities impacted by the law and interpretive court decisions.
- How to make a public records request
- How and when to respond to a public records request
- The public's rights at an open meeting
- What to do if there's a violation of the public records law or open meeting law
- Sanctions for violations
- The attendee will be able to discuss open meetings in Arizona.
- The attendee will be able to identify the role of the Arizona attorney general.
- The attendee will be able to review Arizona public records law.
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
I. Arizona Public Records Law
A. Arizona's Public Records Law, Its Exceptions And Scope
B. Making Or Responding To A Request For Public Records
C. Formal And Informal Ways To Resolve Public Records Disputes
D. Public Record Retention Requirements
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
II. The Federal Freedom Of Information Act
A. Comparison With Arizona's Public Records Law
B. Procedures (Records, Procedure, Time Limits, Search Responsibilities, etc.)
D. Dispute Resolution Matters
11:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
III. Role Of The Arizona Attorney General
A. Public Records Task Force
B. Arizona Agency Handbook, Chapter 6
C. Government Ethics Training For Public Officials
D. Top 10 Pitfalls In Creating, Retaining And Producing Public Records
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
IV. Open Meetings In Arizona
A. Overview And Essential Elements
1. Policy Considerations
2. Notice And Hearings Requirements
B. Drafting Notices And Agendas
C. Adhering To The Posted Agenda
D. Executive Sessions
1. When Is An Executive Session Allowed?
2. Who May Attend?
3. When Must The Executive Session Discussion End And The Public Discussion Begin?
E. Enforcement And Penalties
2:00 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
2:15 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
V. Conflicts Of Interest
3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
VI. Ethical Issues
3:15 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
VII. Role Of The Arizona Attorney General
A. Open Meeting Law Enforcement Team
B. Arizona Agency Handbook, Chapter 7
C. Government Ethics Training For Government Officials
D. Pitfalls And Practical Pointers For Multi-Member Public Bodies
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VIII. Question And Answer Session