This seminar will offer practical and useful information and practice tips to litigators concerning the rules of evidence and selected evidentiary issues.
- Introducing evidence through direct examination
- Developing and using demonstrative evidence
- Special considerations respecting objections to demonstrative evidence
- How, when and why to object during trial
- How, when and why to make a motion in limine
- Evidentiary issues relating to cross-examination
- The use of expert testimony and exhibits
- Ethical considerations respecting the development and use of evidence
9:00 a.m. - 9:10 a.m.
9:10 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
II. The Kitchen Sink: What, When
And How To Introduce Evidence
On Direct Examination
1. Depends On The Theme Of The Case
2. Witness Oral Testimony
3. Documents And Other Exhibits
1. Order Of Presentation – The 'Sandwich'
2. Doctrine Of Primacy And Recency
1. The Proper Form Of Questions
2. Some Time-Honored Techniques Using Interactive Demonstrations
10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
10:15 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
III. The Impact Of Technology On
A. How The Evolution Of Technology Impacts The Manner In Which We Develop And Store Information
B. Developing Demonstrative Evidence
C. Introducing And Presenting Computer Generated Direct Evidence
D. Introducing And Presenting Computer Generated Demonstrative Evidence
E. Ethical Issues Associated With The Development And Presentation Of Demonstrative Evidence
11:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
IV. Motions In Limine
A. How, When And Why To Make Motions In Limine
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.
V. Objections During Trial
A. How, When And Why To Object
1:50 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
VI. Objecting To Demonstrative
A. Special Considerations Concerning The Admissibility Of Demonstrative Evidence
B. Ethical Considerations
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 3:35 p.m.
VII. The Top Three Issues Relating To
A. Should You Cross-Examine And Why?
1. When Is Enough Too
B. Impeachment Of Witnesses
1. Common Areas For Impeachment
2. The Bang For The Buck
3. They Didn't See It Coming!
C. Character Evidence
1. Is It Relevant?
2. Can It Come Back To Haunt You?
3:35 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
VIII. Expert Testimony
A. How To Qualify An Expert To Testify
B. The Scope Of Examination
C. The Use Of Exhibits By Experts
D. Other Issues Relating To Expert Testimony
4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
IX. Questions And Answers