This seminar is designed for business owners and managers, human resources personnel, payroll professionals, accountants and others who have responsibility to make decisions regarding application of state and federal wage and hour laws, including analysis of exemptions from overtime and recent proposed changes to those evaluations, appropriate application of leave of absence requirements, proper payment for hours worked including overtime and new state of Ohio mandates for workers' compensation leave.
- Keys to perfecting your payroll practice
- Understanding changes governing overtime exemptions
- Steps for audit-proofing your organization
- Compliance safeguards: WARN, child labor and Equal Pay Act
- Mastering leaves of absence under fmla, ada, userra and more
- The attendee will be able to discuss recent changes by the Department of Labor.
- The attendee will be able to identify legal standards and requirements under the Equal Pay Act.
- The attendee will be able to review Ohio workers' compensation leave.
8:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
I. State And Federal Wage And Hour
Laws Conducting A Compliance
A. Coverage Of FLSA
1. Employee vs. Independent Contractor Analysis
2. Salary vs. Non-Salary Distinction
B. Minimum Wage
1. Working Time Defined
2. Application And Analysis
C. Overtime Pay
1. Defining 'Workweek'
2. Calculating The 'Regular Rate'
3. Time Off In Lieu Of Overtime Compensation
D. Going Beyond The Basics
1. Temporary And Seasonal Employees
2. Proper Travel Time Compensation
3. On-Call And Work From Home
9:45 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
II. Exploring Overtime Exemptions
A. 'White-Collar' Exemptions
1. The Big Three Executive, Administrative, Professional
2. Salary Requirements
3. Update Of Recent Changes By The Department Of Labor
4. Auditing Your Wage-Hour Practices
B. Other 'Partial/Complete' Exemptions
10:30 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
10:40 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
III. Compliance And Enforcement
A. Wage And Hour Investigations 1. Know Your Rights
2. Proactive Defense
3. Common Audit Issues
B. Recordkeeping Requirements
1. Maintaining Personnel Files
2. Privacy Protections And Compliance
3. Records Retention And Destruction
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
IV. Minimum Wage, Child Labor, Equal
Pay And WARN Act Things You
A. Minimum Wage And Child Labor
1. Proper Calculation
2. Permissible And Prohibited Payroll Deductions
3. State Of Ohio Legal Requirements
B. Equal Pay Act
1. Legal Standards And Requirements
2. Litigation Pitfalls To Avoid
C. WARN Act
1. Who Is Covered?
2. When Is Notice Required?
3. What Notice Is Required?
4. How To Avoid Violations
2:30 p.m. - 2:40 p.m.
2:40 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
V. Managing Employee Leaves Under
State And Federal Law
A. The Family And Medical Leave Act (FMLA) And The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
1. Overview And Recent Developments
2. Into The Quagmire ADA And Workers' Compensation Overlap
3. Analyzing Your Facts
B. Ohio Workers' Compensation Leave
1. Recent Legal Developments
2. Practical Answers And Application
C. Military Leave (USERRA)
1. Know Your Employees' Rights
2. Know Your Responsibilities
D. Managing Other Types Of Leave
1. Civic Duty Jury Leave And Voting